6 HP E/rude...1976....recoil starter spring maintenance....is it possible?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
So a couple of years ago the motor jumped ship for 1/2 hour or so....not running....fresh water. Did the recovery sequence almost immediately, and no problem.
Have since replaced coils, points, and condensers...coils because they were cracked...points and condensers because I was doing the coils....:)

The starter is a bit noisy, and sluggish to recoil now....I had figured the spring has probably rusted and I'd just replace it before it becomes a real problem....or breaks. It has come to the top of the list for this season.
Then I got a load of the price....with taxes it is going to be north of $100- :eek::facepalm:

So, 3 quick questions:
1) I have the motor in the basement, but my manual is at the cottage. I have the manual for my 8 HP E/rude in town and the starters sure look the same...will those instructions be virtually identical? If not I can wait.
2) Am I likely to be able to take the whole works apart and clean and lube with any prospect of success or are those springs toast once they get rusty?
3) Any opinion on whether this is likely due to the submersion as i am guessing, or is the starter a routine maintenance item and this may be all that is required? Doesn't really state that in manual....

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: 6 HP E/rude...1976....recoil starter spring maintenance....is it possible?

The posts these days are rolling over faster than the $$ on a gas pump. :D

jbjennings

Captain

Tim,
If the starters look the same, the instructions should work. If it were me, I'd take the starter apart and look at the spring. If it's not pitted too badly, I'd clean it, regrease it, and reuse it. I would also replace the pull cord, because the springs break most often when the rope breaks.
You might try laingsoutboards or seaway marine and see how much a used spring was just to have a spare laying around. What's particularly sickening is that the spring for the above the flywheel starters are like $15 at laings....... YOu probably already know that.... :)
Just my opinion,
JBJ

AlTn

Commander

a light coating of oil on the spring will suffice and I'd follow jb's advice on replacing the cord now as well...seems like 13 or so winds for the recoil tension was the last figure I saw on the forums..

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

a light coating of oil on the spring will suffice and I'd follow jb's advice on replacing the cord now as well...seems like 13 or so winds for the recoil tension was the last figure I saw on the forums..

The manual has an exact length down to the 1/2".
Why so precise?
Last time I changed the cord on my 8HP I did not even read the instructions, I just used a slightly long piece and after ensuring full retraction and a full spool, just cut it at that point.

Am i missing something?