1985 Evinrude Super 25 hp commercial lower unit

CR7667

Recruit
Thinking about picking up a used Evinrude 25 commercial for a couple hundred bucks, noticed that in 1985 the commercial model had the old split style lower unit case,where as the residential model had the newer stlye lower unit. From the BPR parts site it looks as though it might be possible to interchange these as the midsections look pretty much the same, I realize the area of concerns would be drive shft, exhust(thru prop vs external),shift linkage and bolt up pattern . My thought is that the availability of parts or replacement, if needed, would be greater with the newer style LU. If any has experiance with this or input about it, it would be appreiated. Also I can't seem to find a great deal of info on the difference between Commercial motors and Residential any input there is also welcome.

Thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Evinrude Super 25 hp commercial lower unit

Thinking about picking up a used Evinrude 25 commercial for a couple hundred bucks, noticed that in 1985 the commercial model had the old split style lower unit case,where as the residential model had the newer stlye lower unit. From the BPR parts site it looks as though it might be possible to interchange these as the midsections look pretty much the same, I realize the area of concerns would be drive shft, exhust(thru prop vs external),shift linkage and bolt up pattern . My thought is that the availability of parts or replacement, if needed, would be greater with the newer style LU. If any has experiance with this or input about it, it would be appreiated. Also I can't seem to find a great deal of info on the difference between Commercial motors and Residential any input there is also welcome.

Thanks

Hmmm, never got much into the commercial side. You might try marineengine.com for a parts diagram for each motor. I use that site to find out what my part numbers are.

CR7667

Recruit

Thanks Pete, I'll take a look.The BRP site shows prety good diagrams of the different parts of the engine, just curious if any one has tried this before.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

i would think that if one is thru prop exhaust and the other is not, then you will have compatibility issues.