1985 johnson 140hp

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1985 johnson 140hp

well heres a update cleaned all the carbs very well (all the nooks and crannies and dirty) put them back on, changed fuel lines, and thought to myself what the hell change the oil line from the oil tank to the pump. As I did this I leaned on the primer ball and a tone of water came out. (big part of my problem I think) Cleaned it out real good ,fresh oil,new line. Fired right up first attempt (in driveway) ran very well for 15minutes or so. Put it in a barrel ran fine in it. Did not let it run that long because it was throwing water every where, didnt want it to run below water intake. Took it to the lake idled 15 minutes or so at the dock perfect . Put in reverse everything was perfect (unlike last time dieing out ). Went forward the SOB stalled (no wake zone) Started up stalled a minute or 2 later. Checked the primer ball it was soft. Primed, started, stalled. Did this a few times trying to get back to the dock till the battery just wasnt strong enough to start it again. Anyone have any ideas before I spend the money on a fuel pump. I think its just not pulling strong enough to keep it running. Im also thinking of pre mixing and would like to know what pump would I need to covert it. (it seems safer to me)

atrok3

Seaman Apprentice

well another up date. Disconnected the VRO. Got her in the water yesterday, started great, sat at the dock and let her run for 15 min,everything was perfect. Took off got up to plain running great ( about 5 min) backed out of it and it started sneezing and coughing. Looked at the in line fuel filter and it barely had fuel in it. pumped the ball (very soft) all the way back to the dock ( very slow speed). Im still really leaning to a fuel pump problem and wondering if there is a fuel pump replacement with out the vro that I can put on it.

Thanks
Bob

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I bought it from a guy thats dead

Just noticed that. I'd really like to have been there to watch that transaction.

Seriously, about the fuel pump question.... I'm sure that there's a three (3) fitting regular fuel pump that would work on that engine but I don't know the part number. Hopefully one of the other members will jump in here with that number.