1994 Evinrude 30hp engine cuts out

bassman73

Cadet
My '94 Evinrude 30HP (J30ELERR) will sometimes "cut out" like it can't get enough fuel when I push the throttle lever at take off. It starts great, idles great and the engine has no misses or backfires. What I need to do to get to WOT is very, very slowly push the throttle lever forward, listen for the motor's rpms to increase and then level out. Then very slowly push the throttle lever forward again listening again for the rpms level out and keep going till I'm at WOT. I checked the fuel tank primer bulb after the motor cut out on me and the bulb wasn't firm like it can be at the initial starting of the engine. Shouldn't it stay firm all the time? I checked the fuel hose from the tank to the motor and there is no kinks. I checked the fuel tank vent and it was open. Sometimes the motor cuts out even at these slow take offs so I throttle back and just drive slow for a while and try again. Although my very, very slow take offs can work to get me to WOT when I do get to WOT I can go for miles and the motor will not cut out at all. If I slow the boat to an idle, and NOT turn the motor off, I DON'T have to baby the throttle lever to get up to full speed. Only when I turn the motor off, I have to do the "slow throttle" start ups. I can run for a couple miles at WOT, but if I turn the motor off, and the motor will cut out if I take off too fast. Wouldn't a fuel pump problem not allow me to go WOT with no problems???

bassman73

Cadet
Re: 1994 Evinrude 30hp engine cuts out

Update: In rebuilding the fuel pump I found the rubber valves in very bad shape. I replaced them in the rebuild and I've had no problems ever since.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 Evinrude 30hp engine cuts out

glad you found problem on your own save big bucks by not going to the stealer/dealer