1987 Evinrude XP150 excessive smoke

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 Evinrude XP150 that smokes like a freight train. There is a local lake here that has a very long no wake zone from the ramp to the lake due to docks in the immediate area, and after I pass through, there is a layer of blue fog 60' wide for the entire length. When I start it on the lake, we nearly choke to death until we start moving. Motor looks like brand new, runs smooth and strong, has a new VRO pump, but seems to me to use a lot of oil out of the reservoir for no longer than the motor is run. In two trips, I've only used about 7 gallons of gas, but over a quart of oil. Previous owner says he has used nothing but Evinrude oil in it.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1987 Evinrude XP150 excessive smoke

You may have a 'leak' in the fuel-pump section. For each stroke the pump does, it gives a specific amount of oil relative to what fuel should be in the pump/mixing chamber. If the amount of fuel is less and the amount of oil is 'correct', the engine (VRO) might over-oil by the look of it, but is in fact under-fueling!! Rebuild the fuel section of the pump, check for air-leaks etc in the fuel system. This is a kind of warning given by the VRO that you may soon be heading into a lean-burning condition due to lack of fuel.
Go to shop.evinrude.com
view parts catalog
Accesories
Fuel system

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice

When I purchased the boat, the previous owner had a receipt where he had just had $1100 of work done to the motor. This included a new VRO pump, fuel filter, carbs cleaned, plugs, and fresh tune up. Also, starter was rebuilt. Could this not have taken care of an under-fueling issue? Also, the previous owner is a pilot and all three of his aircraft and all three of his boats are immaculate and meticulously maintained. This is a 1987 Astroglass that is in showroom condition. He had not had the boat in the water between the time of the repair in the fall and the time that I had purchased it.

Haffiman

Commander

Make a level mark on the oil tank - run out a known volume of fuel, refill oil to the level and calculate % oil used. Ought to be just below 2% (1:50).

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A couple of other long shot ideas about your smoke. 1. If you've got a laser temp gun (or can borrow/rent one) check the cyl head temps once the engine heats up to normal operating temps at idle. If one/both of the thermostats stick in the open position, the engine will run cool. The combustion temps on a cool-running engine won't burn the oil properly, causing excess smoke. You'd be looking for 143-153 temps at idle. 2. Pull the airbox cover off. There is a hose at the bottom of the airbox which connects to the lower cyl on the powerhead. It recirculates unburned fuel from the carbs into the lower cylinder. If you have any type of carb fuel/oil leak, any excess fuel/oil will all wind up at the bottom of the airbox, then into that one bottom cyl-along with rough-running, it will smoke for a few minutes. If you idle through a no wake zone with the engine tilted up, this could explain some of the smoke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could have a bad new vro ( it's happened), or a restriction or air leak in your fuel system. There are procedures in the OEM Factory Service Manual on how to check out oil consumption.

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! I'm working 7 days a week and hope to get to it next weekend. You've given me plenty to look at. Thanks so much for all of the information.

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice

Also, where does one find the OEM Factory Service Manual for this particular model?

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

crash,

I got my OEM manual on ebay.
Did a quick search and it looks like they have your year and hp listed, but make sure your specific model # is covered.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Contact the original factory service manual publisher: Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee, Wisc, or see their website: outboardbooks.com

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice

I contacted the original owner whom I purchased it from. I found that when he put in the fuel stabilizer for the winter, he had also added oil to the gas for the 50 to 1 mix. This mixed fuel, along with the oil injection is what was causing the problem. Next tank of fuel made all the difference.