77 johnson 75hp remote control questions

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,I have a 1977 75HP Johnson that I purchased from a local dealer.The remore control is set up for the port side and I need to set up for starboard side.I found from an old post that I need to drive the handle out to switch sides.Hope that is right.So...I removed the three screws that appear to hold the case together,and it is not seperating.Is the another screw someplace I am missing?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 johnson 75hp remote control questions

Put those three screws back in and tighten them... no need to take the control box apart and invite other problems.

Make sure the control box handle is in the neutral position.

Look on the opposite side of the of the control box, you'll see a allen screw there that retains the control handle. Remove that allen screw. Find a longer 1/4x20 threaded bolt and screw it into that threaded hole a half dozen turns or so. Now, belt that head of that bolt somewhat with a hammer to free the handle.

Unscrew the bolt to release the handle, switch the handle to the other side, insert the allen screw and tighten it securely. That's it.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 77 johnson 75hp remote control questions

thanks for the speedy reply,but I will still need to change the control cables.The ones that came with it are 14' and i need to replace with 11'6" or so.
Put those three screws back in and tighten them... no need to take the control box apart and invite other problems.

Make sure the control box handle is in the neutral position.

Look on the opposite side of the of the control box, you'll see a allen screw there that retains the control handle. Remove that allen screw. Find a longer 1/4x20 threaded bolt and screw it into that threaded hole a half dozen turns or so. Now, belt that head of that bolt somewhat with a hammer to free the handle.

Unscrew the bolt to release the handle, switch the handle to the other side, insert the allen screw and tighten it securely. That's it.