1988 Johnson 48 SPL, convert from remote to tiller, help locating parts

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1988 Johnson 48 SPL that we would like to put on a 16' Glass semi V fishing boat in the tiller configuration. The motor is configured to run with remote controls now. The boat is designed to run a tiller and rated for 85 HP. Does anyone know where you might find these tiller parts used? I'm watching ebay and have heard that you can use about any handle if you can figure out the controls. We have heard a suggestion that we mount the remote control box close to the seat, coil the cables under the deck, fabricate a handle with a kill switch lanyard that bolts on where the steering hooks up and go fishing.

Has anyone ever done this or something like it successfully, or does anyone know where we might find these parts?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1988 Johnson 48 SPL, convert from remote to tiller, help locating parts

One bump, maybe get some Sunday looks.

johnstarnes

Recruit

i'm doing a 93 mod 48 spl w/tilt and trim. I think any tiller kit off of a late 80's or early 90's 40 hp will work. I have been advised to make a aluminum plate to hold my key switch and TT switch.
The only thing I like is the steering damper......a factory remotor motor won't have one......turn the tiller loose and the motor will turn without. If I don't get this figured out to my satisfaction I might sell you mine. Have handle with kill switch, gear shift and most every thing else.
Good luck, John

ACAMS

Seaman Apprentice

I have all the parts you need ...... maybe we can make a swap, because I need a tilt/trim motor instead of the tilt assist that a tiller uses.
I have tiller, shifter and tilt assist.

johnstarnes

Recruit

The boat I have kind of needs power trim.
Thanks anyway,
John

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

ACAMS, I sent you a PM about what you have. I'm interested in a swap if possible.

Thanks

ken crowe

Recruit

i'm doing a 93 mod 48 spl w/tilt and trim. I think any tiller kit off of a late 80's or early 90's 40 hp will work. I have been advised to make a aluminum plate to hold my key switch and TT switch.
The only thing I like is the steering damper......a factory remotor motor won't have one......turn the tiller loose and the motor will turn without. If I don't get this figured out to my satisfaction I might sell you mine. Have handle with kill switch, gear shift and most every thing else.
Good luck, John

Did you complete the conversion? I have a 95 48 SPL that I need to convert to a tiller. Would be interested in hearing what you did and how it worked out

WIMUSKY

Staff member

This thread is 2 years old. Please adhere to the red box at the bottom of the screen before replying to an old thread...

Thank you