1995 Johnson 50HP shifting issues

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys...First time poster. I just bought a 1995 Lowe fishing boat with the original 50 HP Johnson on it. Took it out for the first time today and it goes into forward gear fine but when the throttle is pulled back into neutral it stays in forward unless I pull throttle back just past the neutral "click" on the throttle. When the motor is in reverse and then the throttle is pushed forward until the neutral "click" is heard is goes into neutral with no problem. Any thoughts? I am hoping it is some kind of adjustment that I can fix myself as I have spent all my Fun Money just to get the boat. Thanks in advance and Good Fishing!

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1995 Johnson 50HP shifting issues

adjust your shift cable, there is a round black plastic piece on the engine end of your cable, there is a metal cover holding it in place, usually a 3/8 head bolt holds it on, loosen the 3/8 head bolt and spin the black plastic piece about 2 or 3 turns so that it pushes/pulls the shifter in the opposite direction that it travels to go into forward. if you are unsure of yourself get someone who knows about outboards to help you. this adjustment is critical to getting long life out of your gear casing.

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

adjust your shift cable, there is a round black plastic piece on the engine end of your cable, there is a metal cover holding it in place, usually a 3/8 head bolt holds it on, loosen the 3/8 head bolt and spin the black plastic piece about 2 or 3 turns so that it pushes/pulls the shifter in the opposite direction that it travels to go into forward. if you are unsure of yourself get someone who knows about outboards to help you. this adjustment is critical to getting long life out of your gear casing.

Thanks Sparkieboat...I just went outside and went through the gears without the motor running and it shifted fine. Does this indicate another issue?

SparkieBoat

Captain

no..the shift cable needs to be properly adjusted.

indyboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Sparkieboat...I just went outside and went through the gears without the motor running and it shifted fine. Does this indicate another issue?

I adjusted the cable 2 turns and that did the trick! Thanks a million!