2005 115Hp Johnson BOGGING (clearly not a new subject!)

West Coast Pom

Recruit
New user so be gentle! I can see from the forum that my problem is not a new one...but never hurts to ask!

I run a 2005 115Hp 2 stroke/ oil injection Johnson (model J115PXSOR) with around 250 hours on the clock, been regularly serviced & besides a new rectifier/ regulator- no major issues to date.

Engine starts first time everytime, runs very smoothly and no funny noises or other symptoms i can tell. However, the past few trips out I am experiencing an intermittent bogging/ misfire when running over 4,000rpm. It seems to be as per a lot of other threads have described it.....almost like a misfire, bit of a "cough
even....sometimes it happens so quickly the boat will even stay at 30+knots. Other times it does it until i wind the throttle back to under 3,000rpm when it settles then throttle back up and it might not happen again or just repats the cycle.

This is the weird bit: it almost only ever happens the first 20mins of any trip.....e.g the other day it ran fine (first 5 mins), the bogged intermittently like a complete #$%#$%@ for the next 10mins, then we trolled lures at 7kts and it was fine after that for the rest of the day even when moving spots at 5,500rpm.

Another weird bit: When the problem first started, it might not happen for the next 3-4 trips, then happened say 3 times in a row, then not at all etc. etc. though the issue seems to be on the increase in frequency (the past 4 trips straight) but i can never tell when!

My thoughts/ theories:

1) some say the power pack is faulty....then why only at the start of a trip? Surely an electrical problem doesn't go away once the engine is warm?
2) water in fuel....i've drained tank and cycled over 200l of fuel in the last 4 weeks on various trips (i like fishing a LOT!)- so doesn't seem likely.
3) air or air lock in fuel line.....possbily. Would the problem go away after running for a while....i.e. the air gets blown through eventually, but then wouldn't it keep leaking air all day and not just stop? I havent tried the "pumping-the-priming-bulb-when-running" test yet, but it always takes 4-5 pumps in the morning (very soft bulb) even if i've been out the night before...? Seems plausible however....
4) carb/ jet problem.....I don't know enough about that, but again would the symptoms just go away after running for a short while if something was blocked? If so, why would it re-block the next time?

Before i go and see a mechanic i'd like to ensure it's not something simple before i have to start throwing $$$$$ at it!

Any thoughts are apprecaited!

Cheers
James.