New starter lost torque Evinrude 135

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice
Old 1975 evinrude 135. Had starting problems and replaced stator and rectifier. But then thought I killed the battery trying to figure this out. Got a new battery starter would jump into gear (bendix engage with flywheel) but then would not turn over maybe just one thump (one cylinder). Got a new starter. ($$$$$) spun like a new engine. Got it to start but had idle problems. Keep working on it and thought I drained the battery. Charged the battery now the starter is doing the same thing as before. Bendix engages then just wont turn the flywheel execpt maybe one cylider. IS there something distroying my starters????? (all wires cleaned and reset) remember it would spin now wont.
Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New starter lost torque Evinrude 135

Not a sure thing that the starter or battery is bad, Steve. More likely is trouble with the high current wiring. The tiniest amount of hidden corrosion in a tight cable connection usually causes those kind of symptoms. Take all connections off and scrub them shiny, then reconnect. Easy and free; it should be a normal part of routine preventive maintenance.

Good luck, let us know what you find. :)

Phillabaum

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New starter lost torque Evinrude 135

The starter would spin the flywheel if I took out the spark plugs. I called the shop where I paid too much for the replacement starter and they said they would have to look at it to see if it is covered by warranty. He stated it might be a stuck brush. I don't know about that one. And, the shop is over one hour away from my work. Anyway. I wonder if the cable itself is bad somewhere in the middle of the run. Both ends are tight no rust and of course I cleaned and make shine the connector ends. To no result. Both starters worked at one time then died the same death.