1954 15hp Evinrude Fast win Lower Unit

kudos13

Cadet
Hey,
So I need to replace the water impeller on my outboard but I dont know how to remove the lower unit on my motor. Any help or sugestions will be much apreciated.
-Kudos

sludgeguy68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1954 15hp Evinrude Fast win Lower Unit

There should be a square cover plate halfway down the top part of the leg starboard side, attached with 2 small screws. Here's an image I found if it circled:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/KinkA-1/Rudes008s.jpg

Remove that and you'll see the shift rod under there and a brass connector piece with 2 screws. Remove the BOTTOM one only to disconnect the linkage.

Then you can remove the 4 large bolts that hold the bottom part of the leg to the top and slide the lower unit off.

Remember to put a new o-ring at the top of the drive shaft when it goes back in.

DScheff

Cadet

Hi All,

I recently pick up a '54 Evinrude 2 stroke 15 hp and am looking for parts. Funny though the latest year I can find is '55. Does anyone know what major changes that Evinrude made to the '55? Also will '55 parts fit the '54? Thanks

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Hi All,

I recently pick up a '54 Evinrude 2 stroke 15 hp and am looking for parts. Funny though the latest year I can find is '55. Does anyone know what major changes that Evinrude made to the '55? Also will '55 parts fit the '54? Thanks

Welcome to iboats.

Your question is best answered by starting your own thread. Plus, there is a rule around here about hijacking threads, and digging up threads that are more then 3 months old. You may want to read the forum rules here;
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html ;)

tin knocker

Seaman Apprentice

When you are through and reconnect the shift rod make sure that you have the notch in the shift rod in perfect alignment with the opening in the clamp or you will wipe out the threads on the clamp screw.