1973 65 hp johnson ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjbs

Seaman
I have a 73 65hp johnson I bought cheap. It had a cracked lower unit so I bought a 73 lower unit housing off of Ebay and swapped in the original parts. I put in new seals,o-rings and a new water pump impeller. Put the lower unit back on and it fired right up. I ran the motor in a large tub of water but I noticed there was no water coming out of the two holes on the back of the engine. I shut the motor off and fished around in the two holes with a piece of wire and pulled out some grass and a couple of crickets. I started the motor and just a small amount of water came out of the two holes. I remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and ran the motor and plenty of water came out so I know it's pumping water. My question is how much water should come out of the two holes? Thanks, Steve

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 65 hp johnson ?

How high was the water up on the leg of the motor? It has to be very high, like right up to the exhaust relief holes in order for it to pump right.

torbjorn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1973 65 hp johnson ?

Use a flush attachment to eliminate the question whether it's getting enough water
into the block. You can check the thermostat by throwing it into hot water, but
I run my 3 cyl. OMCs without a thermostat, safer. Water should come
out both holes when the thermostat opens, but not as strongly as out a pee
hose, which that model doesn't have.

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi sjbs, Run the motor with muffs and check the exhaust cover plate on the left side of the engine (it has about twenty screws in it) if that stays cool to the touch, and water is coming out of the vertical slots at the bottom of the lower unit after the thermostat opens the water pump is working. As far as little water coming out of the exhaust holes that is normal.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

Its been over 4yrs since this was posted.

Please dont post to inactive topics. Per the helpful tio at the top of the page,after 90days w no new posts, a topic should be for research only, and not replied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.