2005 johnson 25 wont idle well

basspack

Recruit
I have had this motor for about a year and it ran well last summer. I only ran it a few times over the winter and now it seems as if I need to make some adjustments because it is not idling very good. Today I took the carb off and everything was clean as a whistle. I have put new spark plugs on even though the old ones looked ok, just a little black. It will run great when going on a plane but when you are starting/idling it wants to put every 10 seconds or so, and after it puts it wants to kick off. I thought it might be the fuel/water separator and bypassed it completely and it still had the same problem. I have not tried to adjust anything and am not very sure how to start. I have been reading as many related threads as I can, but decided to post my problem in hopes of some direction. Thanks, ray.

basspack

Recruit
Re: 2005 johnson 25 wont idle well

So today I checked the gaps on the new spark plugs that I put in and they were at .030 so I put them at .040 like they are supposed to be. I checked the compression on both cylinders and got 121 for the bottom and a little higher for the top. I tried to unplug one of the wires while it is running it cut off very soon when I unplugged the top. When I unplugged the bottom it seemed to run about the same as when both are hooked up. How much of a difference in compression between the cylinders is an indicator of something wrong?