Johnson Evinrude Shaft Exchange?

weshod

Cadet
I have a 1981 Evinrude 35HP motor that will not work with my new boat as it is a short shaft and the new boat is a 21inch transom. I have a friend that has a 1988 Johnson 35Hp that is a long shaft. I know that is a pretty good stretch in years, but does anyone know if I can switch lower units between these two motors?

Thanks in advance?
WH

weshod

Cadet
Add to question from below

Add to question from below

Or would another option instead of changing shafts be to convert the Johson from remote steer to tiller using the tiller handle off of my Evinrude motor?

Sorry I couldn't get my original question to edit. Remember 1981 Evinrude to 1988 Johnson both 35HP.

Thanks,
WH

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson Evinrude Shaft Exchange?

It's never just exchange the lower units. It's changing or coupling water pump tubes, longer shift shaft and drive shafts. Did you cross reference the 2 years using the johnson/evinrude parts guide? Some will and some won't.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Add to question from below

Re: Add to question from below

Probably easier just to convert to a long shaft. I've done it to a 9.9, as long as you have all the parts, shaft, water tube and shift rod which you would if you grabbed your buddies you'd be good to go.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Looking at the diagrams you have the old style gearcase, his is much newer, won't work. However if you can find the longshaft parts for your year you are in business.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Motors that came from the factory as a long shaft are much different than the ones that came as a short shaft and were converted in the field. Conversion motors use an extension kit, factory motors have longer parts to begin with, not a kit.

So,,,,,if it is a factory long shaft, it is not a matter of just swapping lower units. You would have to swap the entire mid section AND lower unit.

BTW, I just checked the price of a long drive shaft (only) for your motor. Over $330.00