93 Johnson 25 Hp knocking

Chevdog

Cadet
Well this is my first post on this forum. I have been big into fishing for a few years now and just recently purchased my first boat. I had a 14' Klamath hull given to me That needed a motor. The transom is built up so I needed a long shaft. I have only had the boat out a few times now, and it sounds like the motor has a knock. I don't know much about the history of the motor. It may have had it when I bought it and I might just now be noticing it. It has the knock in or out of gear and is only audible at idle. When I get it up in the higher rpms I don't notice it. It seems like it goes away after being on the throttle for a while and bringing it back to idle. After idling again for a while (trolling) the noise seems to come back. After putting water to it on the trailer and running the engine, the knocking sounds like it's coming from the top end of the main shaft, not the power head. Is there anything that I could check or any common issues with. The motors? The lower end oil has been changed and it is circulating water good. The engine number is j25telets if that helps.
Thanks in advance, Josh.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 93 Johnson 25 Hp knocking

Does your motor shift from forward to reverse with a solid clunk sound. If it doesn't I would suspect that the shift linkage may need adjusted.