Foreign object and o-ring question

Mark J.

Cadet
Johnson QD-18 10 hp:

1)While replacing my water pump impeller I found this when I removed the housing. It was lodged in the discharge groove in the pump housing. At first I thought it was from up above somewhere, but it seems too large to have come down the copper water line. It almost looks like some kind of rivet. It was wedged in the groove pretty good, and was trapping a piece if an impeller vane behind it. The piece of rubber was not from the impeller I took out as it was complete with no rips or tears, although it looked pretty old. It was outside the impeller area and wedged in the housing where the discharge turns to go up the powerhead. Any guesses as to what it is? I'd like to figure it out before I put the whole thing back together. Pix below

2) The o-ring on the top of the driveshaft by the splines where it fits into the powerhead: I have read somewhere that the size is not critical as it is only to prevent water from being drawn up the spinning shaft and getting into the powerhead. As the water reaches the o-ring I guess it gets flung off and drains out the exhaust housing. If this is true, does that mean that as long as the o-ring is a snug fit on the shaft in the groove at the top then it's ok? The o-ring I found on this thing was so loose it had slipped down and was resting on top of the water pump housing. I guess what I'm asking is what's critical here: the inner fit or the outer fit?

Can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• object1.jpg
    object1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • object2.jpg
    object2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0