Best steering for Johnson 150 GT????

chesney1603

Seaman
I need some help with a new steering set up. I just bought a 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament 1800 TF with a Johnson 150 GT. The steering sucks! It takes two hands to turn the wheel. What is the best steering set up to buy?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best steering for Johnson 150 GT????

So the steering cable is binding, or does it just get hard to turn at high speed?
If the steering cable is bad, replace it. If the steering cable is corroded into the tilt tube, clean it up. If the boat pulls hard at high speed, adjust the small fin above and behind the prop. I have a single cable system on my 21 footer with a Johnny 150HPV6. Steering is light and easy, at all speeds.

chesney1603

Seaman

It runs straight at all speeds. However the steering wheel is hard as hell to turn at all speeds and motor trims. I disconnected the cables and the motor itself moves easy. I can see the previous owner used JB Weld on one of the brackets, so I want to replace the entire set up. Problem is I don't know what brand or style to buy. Thanks for your help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've had rack and rotary. I have found the rotary to have a little less slop. You should be able to pick up a complete rotary system for about $120-$150.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You mentioned "cables" so you may have dual cable steering. Very common on the high performance V6 powerheads. When these cables get old, the small inner strands of the cable break and begin to catch on the outer casing. When this happens it makes steering very hard. Gets worse with age. You should try to replace just the cables first. If you remove one of them, you will find original manufacturer part number heat-stamped into the outer casing. Usually about 12" from the stern end of the cable. It will indicate the type of cable, manufacturer and the length. Most marine dealers have books and may be able to order you a direct replacement. If your cables are obsolete (it happens) the dealership can sell you both the new style cables with a new steering gearbox with bezel-as a complete kit. The complete kit is really not that difficult to replace. I'd stay with the dual setup. A little pricey, but safer.