60hp J60tlcih - overheating - few questions

customvs

Seaman Apprentice
hi all,

have a 81 Johnson j60tlcih,last week the warning buzzer came on,noticed the linkages holding the timing plate had broke,tied wire on them to get me home,tell tale was flowing solid water at all speed but rear exhaust was only pumping water at slow rpm,whenever i increased rpm the water stopped pumping from exhaust,so i drove slow all way home and hopefully havnt done any damage.I am wondering why the water wouldnt pump under higher rpm,i inspected impeller and it appeared to be in usable condition,I am changing it anyway whilst its apart and also doing thermostat and gaskets.

- why would water pump at low rpm and not high rpm,im assuming if it was blocked it wouldnt pump water out the exhaust at all ?
- is the warning buzzer for overheat only ?
-i had to grind the old impeller off and the keyway appears to be fixed to the shaft,is this correct,or is it just rusted in there ?

Thanx
Adam

Attachments

• SAM_0543.jpg
    SAM_0543.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 0

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 60hp J60tlcih - overheating - few questions

That impeller looks to be ready for change. I guess that when you got it out the wings stayed as they were still in the housing??
The impeller key is probably just rusted, get it out and change. It looks as you got the exhaust tube down with the gear case? Be sure you have fresh rubber seals both up and down when installing or exhaust might enter the water pump. With gearcase down and thermostat out, attach a water hose to the water tube and check for free flow of water.

customvs

Seaman Apprentice

hi,thanx for your opinion,just wondering what you mean about the fins staying that way after i took it out,and yes,they stayed the shape there in the photo,the rubber still semmed very pliable and soft. The impeller key is that rusted,i have tried everything to remove and i cant,i guess it will be alright to just slide the new impeller over.

what do you think ?

Haffiman

Commander

When the wings loose their flexibility and no longer manage to follow the oval of the pump-housing and keep the pressure against the wall, they are finished!! More a time question than a running hour question. 5 years between impeller change is about max to keep the pump working acceptable at all rpm ranges. Next you should pull out your thermostat and check. If the old type with white housing and 3 'fins' going into a rubber bushing, replace with the new black 'cone' and hard seat! Normally the impeller key will get out if hit on the upper part. It is a half-moon shaped key and should be replaced at each impeller change.