1982 Johnson 70 warning buzzer question

Lowengrynn

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I wonder if you can help with this one?

I get no chirp from the buzzer when I turn on the ignition, so I was concerned that the buzzer was u/s. I checked it by earthing the temperature switch to the head and it buzzed away happily, so the buzzer works. I have read the threads on checking the temperature switch so I 'll check that to make sure that the buzzer goes off when it should.

Should it chirp on ignition? Or is it an age thing? But more importantly is there anything else the buzzer should chime in on in a boat with no VRO? Anything else I can test - how do I test for a fuel problem, for example?

G'day

Low

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Johnson 70 warning buzzer question

The 1982 model, if memory serves me correctly, had a two (2) wire warning horn. As such, this 2 wire horn would NOT beep when the key is turned on (parts book also shows a 2 wire horn). This type horn simply has two slide on type connector terminals.

The warning horn on your engine should sound off ONLY should the engine overheat. This warning would be a constant steady beeeeeeep. It would not sound off for any other reason.

The later model horn which would sound off when you turn the key on is a small expensive black plastic horn with one (1) black built in ground wire and two of the slide on type terminals (3 wire horn).

Testing for anything else... best to wait until the problem pops up first.

Lowengrynn

Cadet
Re: 1982 Johnson 70 warning buzzer question

Thanks Joe, that has helped me a lot!

Much obliged.

Low