1965 Evinrude 60hp Sportfour--Starter?

decdrummer

Cadet
Hello all!

I bought a new oem Prestolite starter for my boat a few weeks ago, messed with the timing, and got my boat to fire up and run a little bit, just needs some fine tuning. However, after I finally got her started, I tried a little later on to start her again, but this time, I heard a high pitch whine when I turned the key.......now all it is doing is clicking when i turn the key, and the starter is very hot after just a few turns of the key. Is this common? Is the starter seized? Any help would be awesome! Thanks guys!

On a better note, I just received my title and stickers in the mail via DNR, so I'm legal finally after 5 or so years of headache! I plan on taking the boat out this Spring/Summer, so any help is much appreciated!

Oh and one more thing, I have searched and searched for a tuning 101 guide on how to properly tune the motor since it has sat for so long....any sites I can get this info from? Or is the "secret files" hold this information?

THANKS!

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1965 Evinrude 60hp Sportfour--Starter?

Take the starter motor apart and see what's going on in there. Starter on my '67 was stuck when I first got it, I opened it and cleaned it up....no problems since (knocks wood).

If you don't have a service manual for your motor....get one. Best money you'll spend.