Johnson powershift 2 115 wont start.

chermac01

Seaman Apprentice
i have a project boat and the johnson OB wont start. Im not quite sure of the year of the motor but if I had to guess I would say late 70's. I ran a wire from the battery to the starter and it engaged and started turning the flywheel. but when I turn the key to start nothing happens. Ive checked all connections for corrosion and all are good I have also check the fuse on the motor and it is also good. Power is getting to the motor because when I toggle the automatic choke switch it does engage the choke. Im new to OB motors so Im at a loss for what to do next.

drumz2129

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson powershift 2 115 wont start.

Do you have a volt or multi meter? 12v test light at the least? If so:

1. check from the large red wire (the one on the top) on the starter solenoid to a good ground (starter bolt if no paint is present).
If NO voltage is present, trace the the battery cable all the way back to the battery, checking for corrosion, hard spots, or breaks. Make sure the battery is good.

If 12v is present, check for voltage across the starter solenoid's coil (two small studs) while someone turns the key to the start position. One stud is grounded while the other gets a +12V signal from the key switch. Make sure you are clear of the prop and flywheel in case something starts moving while testing.

If 12v is present, you most likely have a bad starter solenoid since you determined it will turn over by jumping directly to the starter.

If NO 12v is present, it could be several things, including neutral safety switch, safety kill switch, or the key switch.

When you push in the key when it is in the on position (to choke) does the choke solenoid activate? If not, you most likely do not have power getting to the control box.

chermac01

Seaman Apprentice

the choke solenoid does activate. I do have a volt meter and will check the starter solenoid first thing in the morning!

drumz2129

Seaman Apprentice

That is a good sign, you are getting +12V to the key switch. Does your boat have a safety lanyard kill switch? Is the clip hooked in?

chermac01

Seaman Apprentice

That is a good sign, you are getting +12V to the key switch. Does your boat have a safety lanyard kill switch? Is the clip hooked in?

It does not have a safety kill switch

chermac01

Seaman Apprentice

Well I think its the Starter solenoid that is causing the problem I tested across it with the key in the start position and there is voltage at the one side but its not getting through the solenoid.

drumz2129

Seaman Apprentice

Well I think its the Starter solenoid that is causing the problem I tested across it with the key in the start position and there is voltage at the one side but its not getting through the solenoid.

try tapping on the side of the solenoid with the handle end of a screw driver while the key is turned and see if it kicks in.

will62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Test the solenoid...

solenoid test.jpg