jphnson 25 ignition / fuel ????

CSMS Gaddy

Recruit
I have a mid 80's johnson 25 was running fine but now i have problems first it started to get sluggish then when at full throtle it would lose rpms then rev back up in a repeated up down up down sequence but now it just wont crank i do not belive im getting fire to my plugs i pulled them and could not see or hear a spark any suggestions or trouble shooting or what could cause this problem thanks for any help

BOAT =HOLE IN THE WATER YOU TRY TO FILL WITH MONEY!!!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: jphnson 25 ignition / fuel ????

A model # would help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

edit.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

edit.

Last edited:

CSMS Gaddy

Recruit

the model number is j25ecne serial e563922 i hooked a spark tester to it no spark on bottom plug very weak spark on top what does this mean

kbait

Commander

You have an '82 w/cd ignition (not points). Search this forum for testing the components before replacing cdi box. Could be the box, but also could be coils, ground connections from coils/cd box/arm. plate, bad or poorly connected plug wires, bad charging coil under flywheel etc. A multimeter will come in handy for your inspection. Good luck, and welcome to iboats!

AlTn

Commander

go to marineengine.com and find your year, hp., model no....look under the magneto or ignition diagrams and you'll find the components whcih make up your system....the easy stuff is to unplug each connector and clean the pins and sockets with rubbing alcohol and make sure the pins are pushed out enough to make good connections in the sockets.
Clean the ground connections for the coils and powerpack.
Now comes the part that cost money. To test this system you'll need a dva capable multimeter or a dva adapter for your multimeter.Instructions are in the forums, somewhere, on making this adapter a diy project.
Find the cdielectronics.com troubleshooting guide and follow the instructions.
An OMC Factory Manual really is beneficial if you plan on maintaining your motor yourself. Ebay, marineengine.com, or outboardbooks.com should have them.

CSMS Gaddy

Recruit

I went ahead and ordered two new coils do you think that will solve my problem or do i need to break down and get a new power pack

AlTn

Commander

well...you really should methodically test your system following the cdi troubleshooting guide or your OMC manual...becasue it can get expensive quickly throwing parts at it.

1.Remove the black/yellow wire from the plug going to the powepack...does the spark return?..if so, your stop circuit has a short somewhere and is grounding out the pack as this is how it functions, it grounds the pack when your key or stop button is in the off position. This wire should also be checked for any voltage it may be carrying to the pack.
2. Liklihood of both coils failing at the same time is pretty small. At the marineengine.com site it listed them <0581651> as NLA. So if you found 2 that's a good thing.
3. Powerpack failure would result in what you've experienced, however < sounds costly > on the electric start model it seems that with at least one setup the stator combines the charging for the battery, the high voltage coil to supply voltage to the pp, and also the pulse voltage for the trigger to the coil. Soooo..that rascal could be acting up.

You see that it could be something as simple <cheap> as finding something in the kill circuit causing the pack to ground. Or, going to the other extreme, multiple failure causation < dat's a term I'd use for the shotgun replacement approach>.

Pull your flywheel so you can determine what components you have providing the battery charge, high voltage for the pack, and a triggering voltage to the pack. Marineengine.com has diagrams to help you identify these components.

Should you decide to replace it all, throw a new rectifier into the mix as well..on the scale of things that one is fairly cheap.

Believe me, I'm just half a page ahead of you in understanding how these 2 cylinder cdi systems work. Many on this forum could write < and may have for all I know> a down to every circuit explanation of what's going on. The most I can comprehend is a 4 th grade level of understanding...the pp acts as a switching component for the voltage going to the coils and the signal for this voltage to leave is provided by the trigger sensor. The high voltage that the pp sends on to the coils comes from the ignition charge coils under the flywheel.
How all this happens is explained in the OMC Factory Manual, at least it is on the manual for a 1978 9.9/15 hp.

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take AITn's advise, check the small easy stuff first, such as the kill switch. I recently picked up an older non running Tohatsu and was going to try this and that, fortunately a couple of guys pointed me in the right direction and it turned out good for me (just a CD box and nothing else).

CSMS Gaddy

Recruit

the black and yellow wire you speak comes from the power pack and goes to what ??? can i just by pass my kill switch and go that route and about how much is a power pack

AlTn

Commander

you should see a black/yellow wire entering one of the amphenol plugs that plug into the pp..unplug it and push the black/yellow pin out then plug the amphenol plug back together..try to start it < if it starts in order to stop it you'll need to either pull the plug wires off or put your hand over the carb throat, option 3 would be to start it w/o the fuel line connected and merely let it run out of gas, which it will at idle in a minute or so> what you've done is eliminated the kill circuit in the pp....how much is a powerpack?..you've haven't gone to marineengine.com to look at the diagrams have you?...sheesh...