System check gauge

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice
2003 Johnson 4 stroke 70HP, installing system check gauge. I ran new wires from the motor which is a 6 pin conn. to the check system gauge 8 pin and it will not work. Do I tie the purple wire to the remote control harness to make it work. Is that where I pick up the 12 volt?????

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice
Re: System check gauge

Thanks Chris let me explain this a little better.I installed a newer model motor, went from the old red plug to the new MWS system.Installed the harness adapter 423-6349 ran new wires for the system check gage p/n 0177107 did not use the adapter plug for system check. Plug it straight in to the harness on the motor.cause when i ohm the adapter 2-4-5-6 went to tact 1- ground 3-and 5- where the trim plugs in.is this where i mess up?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I have no idea what your description means. On a 4 cycle motor, you obviously some need different System Check alarms. Normal 2 cycle System Check alarms are low oil in resevoir, no oil at OMS pump, Overheat and fuel restriction. Clearly you will not have the first two alarms. Clearly you will have the overheat alarm, ab the fuel restriction is a likely alarm. So your System Check gauge will have the purple (ign accessory), black(ground) and grey(Tach signal) wires, the tan (overheat) wire, plus up to three other alarm wires.
Hope it helps

clanton

Rear Admiral

When you plug the adapter harness into the engine, what connectors are remaining to connect to the control harness, and what color are the wires. Where are the wires comming from that you are trying to connect to the tach and what color. The best way to do this is a harness to match engine without an adapter, will connect to any tach or guages, will have to change ignition switch or hard wire. This setup is plug and play except the switch.

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Clanton and Chris 1956,
This is what I have found out during this engine swamp from the red plug to the mws system. Here is what you need if anyone else is doing this swap, shift linkage, throttle cable, steering linkage, will work without any modifications. The red plug adapter works good for all ignition's components. Trim is the same, system check gauge you will have to run a new harness, and the purple wire off the system check end goes to the remote control purple wire, this is where you pick up your 12 volts.