Primary ignition coil on 73 johnson seahorse 20 hp

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I just recently ordered a few parts from sierra marine...I replaced my water pump, rebuilt my carb, and replaced the primary ignition coil and condensers...Well when I got the coil there are three holes in it to screw it down..In order to screw it down the proper way I have to flip the coil around so the 2 screw holes are on the left side instead of the right side. So the coil wires are on top of the coil instead of running underneath the coil like in the picture below...My question is does this make a difference? Im not quite sure...Just thought I would get a few more opinions..

AlTn

Commander
Re: Primary ignition coil on 73 johnson seahorse 20 hp

k..never fooled with this setup personally. One member switched his coil to the opposite side of the plate and seemed to solve his problem. Look at a pic in post #41 in a thread by suba_redneck concerning an 18 hp. evinrude slipping out of gear....would your coil fit if you moved it to the other side of the armature plate and the wires would run uderneath it? The wires being tucked under the coil would help keep them out of the way of the flywheel and crankshaft, but I'd doubt it would have any effect on its function if they were below or above the coil itself.

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay thank you for the reply...I tried to keep the coil wires out of the way of any moving parts...Now all I got to do is throw some new plugs in her and try to fire it up..HOPEFULLY this fixes my problem..

AlTn

Commander

if not..post back

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I just got out the spark plug tester and tested both cyls...Got a great blue spark that popped and jumped a quarter inch! So I feel better about that...so I got compression, spark, and fuel...should fire now I am thinking...Just a little hesitant to get the garden hose out to try to fire her up. Only 17 degrees right now!!! Cant wait for the nice weather!! If I get the motor straightened around I will be building a deck and putting a floor in my boat!:D

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I brought the motor out. Fired up on about the fourth pull. It ran for about 15 seconds then would die. I did this about 4 or 5 times. Pulled the spark plugs. They are very wet...Letting em dry out and gonna give it a shot again..Thinking I flooded it...

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well..put the plugs back in. Fired right back up for me. This time I got it to run for about a min and a half. It ran quite rough. I was trying to adjust the slow speed jet adjustment when I had it running to see if it made a difference...Not quite sure where it needs to be set to. But anyways I pulled the plugs after it died. The plugs were fouled very badly...Too much oil in my gas? Could have swore it was 50:1...It was last summers gas...Had marine stabil in it...I know, I probably should have just started fresh again...Im getting close!! I wasnt even getting it to fire when I bought it:D Any suggestions?