Battery charging with vintage motor

Captmorg

Cadet
Recently bought an older 14 FG runabout in very good condition (needing help positively identifying the boat..thinking it's mid-60s) with a 1957 Evinrude 35 hp Big Twin which also seems to be in very good shape. This engine has no generator or alternator. Am I correct in assuming that there is no system to charge the battery other than an off-boat charger? Any advice on the best way to do this and keeping track of charge would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the boat has a push button starter, and running lights, no other electrical draws.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery charging with vintage motor

Welcome to iboats.

The generator was an option and can be added after the fact but if you currently dont have one you have to charge your battery by either hooking it up to a charger every so often or I installed solar chargers on a couple of my boats that constantly trickle charge it to keep it healthy.

lindy46

Captain

A factory charging kit will cost way more than the motor is worth. A small solar trickle charger is the way to go. I have one on my pontoon with a 1957 Lark and just the standard running lights, and it keeps my battery strong enough to start the motor and use the lights all summer long.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

A factory charging kit will cost way more than the motor is worth. A small solar trickle charger is the way to go. I have one on my pontoon with a 1957 Lark and just the standard running lights, and it keeps my battery strong enough to start the motor and use the lights all summer long.

Yeah definately isnt cheap. By the time you get a flywheel, generator, bracket, belt, regulator, extra wide solenoid box, etc... you are looking at a pretty penny. Most of the guys that have them arent willing to part with them either.

Captmorg

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. That's what I figured...but wasn't 100% sure.

What would be a correct "size" CCA etc., battery for this outboard? So, you've had good luck with the solar chargers? I've heard and read that they really don't do the job. First hand experience is much better than rumors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have them on my boats that do not have generators and I did not need to charge the batteries all summer.

Actually I lied, I did once after a large heavy rain that kept by bilge running for 2 days straight, but that was my fault for not covering it. Other than that, it kept it charged. I dont have a ton of electronics though.

kbait

Commander

I have a bigtwin from '65 w/electric start/no generator. I use a std size marine deep cycle battery. I also replaced the original running lights w/12v led. I also run a fish finder and have led interior lights. Motor is tuned so a bump of the key starts her up. I just charge the battery up every few weeks. For insurance, I have a 'vexilar' (very small) 12v battery rigged w/wires and alligator clips stowed under a seat. In the event of no main battery, I can disconnect the cable leads and hook 'em up to the little battery for lights/accessories, and just pull start the motor. Never had to use that, as the main battery lasts a LONG time w/led's. The vexilar battery was 'free' as I don't use my winter fish flasher in boating season. That said, I like the solar trickle idea too!

Captmorg

Cadet

Thanks all for the responses.

And, Lindy46, the picture of the blue runabout looks very much like the one I recently bought. It is titled as a 1970, 14 ft. Sunray but I don't think that's what it is. (or if there ever was such a thing....) It has the double bench seats to boot. I'm thinking mid 60s like I said. I've checked a lot online but don't find an exact match. Any suggestions for a resource?

Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The solar panels may not charge a dead battery, but they will do a fine job keeping a good battery topped off...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Interesting. I never thought about solar trickle chargers. How big are they? They won't be an eye sore on a classic old boat?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The ones I use are only about 12" x 8" or so? I actually screw them to the dock and run the lead onto the boat with alligator clips onto the battery terminals. When Im out and about you dont see it. While Im away from the boat for the week it trickle charges it to keep it topped up.

As chinewalker said, it wont charge a battery, but keeps it topped up while not in use.