1959 35 hp Johnson fuel tank question.

zepprocker

Cadet
Hey All,
This is my first post here. I recently bought a 1959 Dorsett Belmont Sport boat. Picked it up for 1700 with no fuel tank or battery. Everything else is clean, and the motor still has good compression. My question is, originally, these motors used pressurized fuel tanks. I'd like to get around that by using a conventional fuel tank and using an automotive fuel pump with a check valve to apply the correct amount of pressure. I assume I'd still have a return line to push out any fuel not used. I'm not quite sure what kind of pump I should look for, I think the automotive ones are in the 10 PSI range. Anyone know about this, or done anything like this? Also, suggestions on where to buy parts like this. I'm new to boating in general but have a decent mechanical know-how.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1959 35 hp Johnson fuel tank question.

why not just do the conversion with a mikuni pump?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi zepprocker. Sure, you can convert it to a single line set up pretty easily. Here are some great links that can walk you through the whole job. You'll have to check online for parts, but most folks like Mikuni brand fuel pumps which are available right here at iboats and other sites. Great motor you got there. Holler if you get stuck. We love pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8&feature=related

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Forget about the auto fuel pumps, unless you have good insurance :)

The 3 options are to buy a factory OEM fuel pump and bypass cover from a newer motor, buy an OEM fuel pump and make an adaptor plate onto your factory bypass cover filling the voids with JB Weld and drilling/tapping the pulse port, or buy a Mikuni fuel pump from a number of online sources and drill/tap your bypass cover for pulse. The factory pump is a little neater/original looking, the Mikuni setup is a little cheaper on the wallet. By far the easiest/neatest method is to find a pump that comes with the correct size bypass cover. Just unscrew yours and screw the new one on.

You will also need a new connector for the single line tank. Unscrew the old one and pop the new one on. Leave a few inches of the old pressure hose and plug it with a bolt and clamp.

If you want more info on this let us know.

nwcove

Admiral

the conversion for your motor is a bit different than the one shown in the utube video..... its actually easier to convert.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

the conversion for your motor is a bit different than the one shown in the utube video..... its actually easier to convert.

I agree, only resort to that for the 5.5s

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Guys' guys, guys....the '59 35 already has a fuel pump on it. All you need to do is re-kit the one you have. Kits are available at vintageoutboard.com or Sea-Way Marine. Even most of the '58's come with fuel pumps as well. Typically the Super Sea Horses and Larks are fuel pump motors and the plain Janes are pressure tanks. If your motor doesn't have a fuel pump on it, then someone likely has pulled it off and misplaced it. All '59 35's are fuel pump equipped. The smaller motors (18 and down) are still pressure tanks though.

So.....all you need to do, is go look around the ads and pick up a couple single line tanks and get a new battery, and you're good to go.

zepprocker

Cadet

Hi Guys,
Here are a few pics of the boat and motor. Sorry for the picture quality, camera phone =( So (maybe a silly question), if the 35 Johnson already has a fuel pump, that would be internal in the motor, correct? otherwise it would be in the fuel tank, which in that case, I'd be out a fuel pump.

Attachments

• IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Guys' guys, guys....the '59 35 already has a fuel pump on it. All you need to do is re-kit the one you have. Kits are available at vintageoutboard.com or Sea-Way Marine. Even most of the '58's come with fuel pumps as well. Typically the Super Sea Horses and Larks are fuel pump motors and the plain Janes are pressure tanks. If your motor doesn't have a fuel pump on it, then someone likely has pulled it off and misplaced it. All '59 35's are fuel pump equipped. The smaller motors (18 and down) are still pressure tanks though.

So.....all you need to do, is go look around the ads and pick up a couple single line tanks and get a new battery, and you're good to go.

He might not actually have a '59, OR he has a '59 set up to run on a pressure tank. I have seen a couple 59s with an original pressure tank set up. Maybe the original buyer asked for it from the factory to use their existing tanks? I dont know, but regardless if he doesnt have a pump he will need one right.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

AHA a javelin! Nice, although Im a purist with regards to paint jobs. Does look nice on that boat!

Definately not a '59, she is a '57!

zepprocker

Cadet

Upon further inspection, this is a Johnson Javelin, which I don't think they made in 59. Maybe a 57? So in this case, it probably does not have a fuel pump. Thank you all for the help!

zepprocker

Cadet

You beat me to it High Trim! and I've had the boat for 2 days now (totally covered), I uncovered it to take pictures, and noticed the Javelin emblem. This is going to require a retro-fitted fuel pump... I'll take a look at the walkthrough, is this motor much different than say, a 57 SeaHorse?

zepprocker

Cadet

You beat me to it High Trim! and I've had the boat for 2 days now (totally covered), I uncovered it to take pictures, and noticed the Javelin emblem. This is going to require a retro-fitted fuel pump... I'll take a look at the walkthrough, is this motor much different than say, a 57 SeaHorse?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hold on everybody!!! That motor, assuming it is a '57 35hp already has a bypass cover that will accept a stock OMC fuel pump. Forget that mikuni conversion stuff.

One of the bypass covers has three holes in a line. Tap the outer ones to a #10-24 thread, and drill the center one all the way through. Attach a 18-7351 fuel pump (from here at iboats), hook up the hoses, any you are ready to go.

I might add that all this was a Factory Accessory kit when the motor was new. It was offered so the motors could be run on built-in tanks on larger boats.

nwcove

Admiral

pic #2 does show a two line connector.

zepprocker

Cadet

I found the bypass covers (there are two of them). All I need is a fuel pump! Woot! (and tapping those holes).

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I found the bypass covers (there are two of them). All I need is a fuel pump! Woot! (and tapping those holes).

....and a connector for the single line tank, but they are easy to find.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Okay, yea, it is a '57. That changes everything. Like F_R says, this motor is also ready to adapt a fuel pump to it. If it was me, I would just get a factory fuel pump for a later 33hp SkiTwin and mount it up. It's low profile and it won't interfere with the cover.

Believe it or not, it was the '58's that were either or. "59's were all fuel pump. The '60 and newer were all fuel pump, including the smaller motors.

And yes, the Javelin was only made for 2 years: 56 and 57. "58 had the Single wall models still, but the Javelin was replaced by the Super Seahorse RDS/RDSL The old single wall model was an RD.

zepprocker

Cadet

I don't actually need a single line connector for the fuel tank, since I don't have a dual line fuel tank (or any fuel tank) right now, right? I should just be able to plug the old vacuum hole which pressurized the old fuel tank and connect the single line from my new single line tank to the pump.