1963 johnson 28 hp super seahorse

ormynay

Recruit
I have a chance to purchase the 1963 super seahorse, but, it has the forward controls on it. I would like to use it as a motor for an inflatable. Anybody know if it is possible to "retro fit" a tiller control to a forward control motor?
and...
The info I have found on it says it has power steering... again is it possible to, would I need to, disconnect that? does power steering mean from the steering wheel on is it included on the motor?

I am attempting to gather info BEFORE I view the motor so I do not have specific photos yet.

I do have this: Model RX 11A Serial 2376126

I would love to have this motor but it needs to work on my boat, attaching forward controls is not really an option...

any help / opinions available???

-n

kbait

Commander
Re: 1963 johnson 28 hp super seahorse

If the motor's swivel bracket was designed to accept a tiller arm, you can likely find one and bolt it on. If it doesn't have that attachment point, it's possible, but not $$ feasible, to retrofit for a tiller.. Good luck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A tiller arm is no problem at all to install. All you need is the parts.

Power Steering????? Yeah right. That is so extremely unlikely. It MAY have push-pull cable steering, but that isn't power. Besides, that stays with the boat and is not part of the motor.

ormynay

Recruit

A tiller arm is no problem at all to install. All you need is the parts.

Power Steering????? Yeah right. That is so extremely unlikely. It MAY have push-pull cable steering, but that isn't power. Besides, that stays with the boat and is not part of the motor.

I thought power steering was ridiculous, but that's what the info online said!