1999 Evinrude Ficht 115

pmcnutt

Recruit
I recently put this motor back into use after sitting for over a year. I replaced the lift pump because of the motor bogging down on take off but then it would run fine after having someone squeeze the primer bulb while moving. The issue I have now is that it fires right up but when I go to put it in gear it dies. The motor does seem to idle a little slower than usual. Could this be the problem? Or do I need to trouble shoot some other area? I did have the throttle and gear cables disconnected. I put them back the way they came off. Do I need to pssibly adjust the cables? If so is this something you do while the engine is running?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1999 Evinrude Ficht 115

I assume you have the diag sw and have checked everything you can and you have an OEM shop manual?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

A few things you could try. You could adjust the carbs with the motor in a forward idle position IN THE WATER OR BUCKET a little richer than the point that the motor bogs out. Adjusting the carbs without a load will not give you a true reading. If that doesnt fix it (which I suspect it will) then you could find the spark advance and advance the timing just a bit. Should work just fine, I JUST dealt with this....

Haffiman

Commander

You may need to hook it up to get the TPS set correct when attaching the throttle cable. Running without cable attached will give a wrong TPS setting.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 99 115 Ficht on a Wellcraft CC. It had been parked 4 years in a driveway when I got it. I flushed the fuel system with a mixture of gas and Seafoam mixed about 50/50 after taking the pump assembly apart and getting the pump to turn. Serious varnish problem in the fuel system. I use Seafoam in the fuel always and the off idle stall was a problem for about the first 20 gallons of fuel. I suspect the varinish in the fuel injectors finally dissolved and the engine runs wonderfully. My suggestion is to run it, that engine is a good one, despite what people say. Most to the bad reports are due to problems with the 150 hp engine.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

A few things you could try. You could adjust the carbs with the motor in a forward idle position IN THE WATER OR BUCKET a little richer than the point that the motor bogs out. Adjusting the carbs without a load will not give you a true reading. If that doesnt fix it (which I suspect it will) then you could find the spark advance and advance the timing just a bit. Should work just fine, I JUST dealt with this....

i must say i gave a hard laugh reading these wonderful hints for a ficht and that the poster just dealt with it ...

the the op : my usual first ficht question when it struggles to idle : plugs correct and indexed ?

urugol

Seaman Apprentice

As already mentioned, I would start with your TPS it would be really handy if you had the diags you can get your voltage readings and adjust the throttle to spec. Another thing I would test is your fuel pressure off the schrader valve on your return line, it should read at least 20psi while cranking.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

i must say i gave a hard laugh reading these wonderful hints for a ficht and that the poster just dealt with it ...

the the op : my usual first ficht question when it struggles to idle : plugs correct and indexed ?

Well you must have an extremely developed sense of humor.. I didnt realize it was fuel injected at the time. I gave a hard laugh when you idiots brought back a one year old thread.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well you must have an extremely developed sense of humor.. I didnt realize it was fuel injected at the time. I gave a hard laugh when you idiots brought back a one year old thread.

some things are timeless sutor ! :laugh: