1996 Evinrude 40 Tiller, Water Pump Repair Kit.

Fowlhunter

Cadet
Hello all. This is my first post to the forum but I've been in boating since 1999 when I purchased my 1996 Evinrude 40 outboard with tiller (E40TEEDS). I had an issue with the motor going into S.L.O.W. mode and found the plastic nut that holds the temperature switch in the back of the head had come out and was melted. I replaced the temperature switch and changed out all of the parts for the thermostat assembly, I also replaced the spark plugs while I was at it. I recently read in my shop manual that the impeller should be changed once a year, true or false? I have never had it replaced and thought I needed to do it. I found a water pump repair kit and gearcase seal kit but my question is how do I go about changing it? I am very mechanical and feel I can perform the job rather than take it to a shop. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 Evinrude 40 Tiller, Water Pump Repair Kit.

We could guide you through it, but if you plan on doing some experimenting with this motor you should just buy a Seloc manual for it. 23.00 you will never regret spending.....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stay away from Seloc or Clymer and get an OEM Factory Service manual for your mtr. It's worth the extra cost. Especially if you're going to work on it yourself. To me Seloc and Clymer Suck.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Stay away from Seloc or Clymer and get an OEM Factory Service manual for your mtr. It's worth the extra cost. Especially if you're going to work on it yourself. To me Seloc and Clymer Suck.

I've never had any issues with the seloc. I agree about the clymer though.

Fowlhunter

Cadet

Where do yo recommend I purchase the OEM service manual? I am currently using the Clymer manual.
Thanks

Fowlhunter

Cadet

We could guide you through it, but if you plan on doing some experimenting with this motor you should just buy a Seloc manual for it. 23.00 you will never regret spending.....

I'm getting ready to order the parts for the water pump repair kit (433549) and have a few questions. Will I need a gasket or some type of seal when I put the gearcase back on or is this simply metal to metal? I realize I need to drain the gear lube and pay close attention to the shift linkage but wasn't sure if there was anything else?

Thanks for the help!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I'm getting ready to order the parts for the water pump repair kit (433549) and have a few questions. Will I need a gasket or some type of seal when I put the gearcase back on or is this simply metal to metal? I realize I need to drain the gear lube and pay close attention to the shift linkage but wasn't sure if there was anything else?

Thanks for the help!

I like to put a simple waterproof/oilproof sealant around the top edge of the lower unit, just to be sure. With older motors, you never can tell how well they will seal to the midsection, especially if it has been pryed apart. Just be easy and make sure that the gear of the motor and lower unit are the same and you should be fine. Sometimes you have to spin flywheel or prop to get the drive splines to meet up.

Fowlhunter

Cadet

I like to put a simple waterproof/oilproof sealant around the top edge of the lower unit, just to be sure. With older motors, you never can tell how well they will seal to the midsection, especially if it has been pryed apart. Just be easy and make sure that the gear of the motor and lower unit are the same and you should be fine. Sometimes you have to spin flywheel or prop to get the drive splines to meet up.

Thanks sutor623. Do you mean something like Permatex or something more marine related? I gotcha, Thanks again!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Permatex is fine. Just some peace of mind. Make sure it is water and oil resistant if possible. I think I just used the red last time I did it.