1975 Johnson 25hp 25r75b recoil starter not spinning flywheel

HurleyDude03

Recruit
I acquired this boat from my step mom after my dad passed away and I replaced the water pump and cleaned the carb and replaced all seals and gaskets with the carb repair kit and it ran great in a trash can. I went to take it out the next weekend and ended up pulling the string out of the magneto. I took it back home and took off the magneto and put a new string and it pulls just fine. I put the magneto back on top of the flywheel and now for some reason the magneto doesn't turn the flywheel at all, it just spins around it... Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 25hp 25r75b magneto not spinning flywheel

You've got something put together wrong. Look closely at the diagrams above.

HurleyDude03

Recruit

Lol rewind starter is exactly what I meant. I'm not 100% sure but is there suppose to be some type of pins that connect the rewind starter to the fly wheel? I believe it's part #2 in the diagram, if that's the case then I probably just need to order those and install them maybe? I'm pretty novice when it comes to boat motors considering this is the first I've ever owned.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The pawls and springs Mohawk refers to are pn #10 and 11 in the diagram, Hurley. They probably do not need replacing, just correct assembly so that the pawls pop out when the rope is pulled.

Good luck. :)

HurleyDude03

Recruit
Re: 1975 Johnson 25hp 25r75b recoil starter not spinning flywheel

Thanks JB for correcting my title... It'll probably make a lot more sense now. I'll definitely take a look at it after I get off work today. I'm hoping this is the only problem I'm going to encounter but we will soon find out. Thank y'all in advance for putting me on the right track... Hopefully

HurleyDude03

Recruit
Re: 1975 Johnson 25hp 25r75b recoil starter not spinning flywheel

Definitely put me on the right track guys! I had put the piece that belonged on the spindle starter under the spindle itself so the pawl wasn't moving at all when I pulled the cord... I put it in like it was supposed to be and it's works great again! I really appreciate the input greatly! Thanks!