1974 evinrude 70hp model #70473 m clicks at solenoid and nothing at starter

fshrmngrn

Cadet
I purchased this motor from my cousin he was told it needed a starter solenoid! So I put one on it and now all it does is click when you turn the ignition, bought a new battery and it still does the same thing.Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts that could help me get this motor running. I would greatly appreciate any help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 evinrude 70hp model #70473 m clicks at solenoid and nothing at starter

The solenoid is always blamed. Happens alot.

Start by taking off all the connections at the battery, starter, solenoid and ground and polish them to a shine, then retighten. Check all wiring for nicks/cuts/abrasions and "crunching" when you flex it. THe wire rots from the inside out and you may not see it. You could also do a voltage drop test along lenghts of wire to determine if it is faulty.

Are you getting the 12.65 volts at the starter while starting? Have you tried jumping the starter direct from the battery to ensure it works?

fshrmngrn

Cadet

yes i tried jumping the starter straight from the battery and nothing happened just bought a new starter going out to the boat today and put it on but i am trying to cover alot of ground since the boat is not at my place!

fshrmngrn

Cadet

Chris so it would be wise for me to slow down and take my time, getting all connections clean and or replace bad wires! Then try to see what happens after that.I don't have alot fo time to work on it but today I am off from work so I will have more time, i will do everything you said and let you know it goes. Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well if you are jumping the starter direct with a known good battery and known good cables the starter is shot. Make sure the jumper cables are adequate and you are using a good ground on the motor, not painted.

You may be able to save money and just have it rebuilt. Any local starter/alternator repair shop can do this for a reasonable price.

fshrmngrn

Cadet

Thanks chris cleaned all the connections put on a brand new starter fired right up purrs like a kitten.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great, happy boating.