1994 Evinrude Stops Running after about 2 minutes. Need help to diagnose

pantages

Recruit
Hi, This is my first posting.

Anyway, I have a 60HP 1994 evenrude that has been sitting for about 2 yrs. zero gas in the carbs the entire two years. I had taken them apart to clean them and never got around to starting it up. Has a new fuel pump and filter. I start it with the engine sitting in a big trash can. It runs for about two to three minutes and dies. Like is is starving for fuel but i do not think this is the issue since it does not spit and sputter and then die. I see the stream of water as it is peeing and is is not hot to the touch. A part of me thinks it could be a temperature sensor? Not sure if it has one or not. Another note. If I give it a little throttle she will stay running. Any words of wisdom?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1994 Evenrude Stops Running after about 2 minutes. Need help to diagnose

Try pumping the fuel bulb every couple of minutes to see if it runs longer...basically testing to make sure your new del pump is working properly.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

...also, check to make sure your tank is venting.

Mas

pantages

Recruit

Vent was checked and it was opened

I replaced the fuel pump because my first issue was that I had to keep primming the bulb just to keep it running. Not an issue now that I have the new fule pump installed. Thanks E

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Did it run longer than 2 min when you pumped the bulb before replacing the pump?

Mas

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked for spark once the engine quits? Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine comes up to normal operting temperatures. When the engine quits, put an inductive timing light on each plugwire and crank the engine. The flashes from the timing light will tell you a lot about the quality of spark on each plugwire.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

A leaky O-ring in a fuel connector can allow air to be sucked in yet not leak any fuel when the primer is pumped.

An easy check is to temporarily install a section of clear hose between the fuel pump and carbs, watch while the motor is running to see if any air bubbles pass thru.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A leaky O-ring in a fuel connector can allow air to be sucked in yet not leak any fuel when the primer is pumped.

An easy check is to temporarily install a section of clear hose between the fuel pump and carbs, watch while the motor is running to see if any air bubbles pass thru.

Hmm, that might be my current problem on my 85 horse. I saw the primer bulb hose was a little loose but thought nothing about it. But it too is doing the 2 minute deal. Good info.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked for spark once the engine quits? Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine comes up to normal operting temperatures. When the engine quits, put an inductive timing light on each plugwire and crank the engine. The flashes from the timing light will tell you a lot about the quality of spark on each plugwire.

I never really thought to do this on my boat either, lots of good advice today!

hidef

Lieutenant

I would Check pages 41 and 42 of the CDI troubleshooting guide to rule out the ignition system. I believe your engine has quickstart and it sounds like the engine is dying when it switches over from quickstart timing to regular timing. Advancing the throttle increases the speed and timing and keeps the engine running.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

To hidef's comment. We had a 1989 V6 which would die after a minute or two of running. It was related to a quickstart issue. As soon as quickstart returned the timing to normal-the engine would die at idle. We wound up replacing the flywheel and that cured the problem.

pantages

Recruit

Wow! this is a lot of information to work with. It may take me a couple of days to try some of the great suggestions. Once I have more info to share/reply I will post an update.

To answer MRneatfreak I do not think the O ring is the problem as the tank and fule line are all new. The engine does fire right back up but it dies out in just 20 seconds or so.

I do like the quickstart concept. Is the quickstart built into the flywheel?

To answer hidef I am not sure what you mean Check pages 41 and 42 of the CDI troubleshooting guide. Is that guide online within the forum?

Thank you everyone for your help

hidef

Lieutenant

The hyperlink for the CDI guide is in my signature.

dgawoski

Cadet

Also check the primer bulb, as the check valve inside could be faulty. I had a new one that was bad right out of the box.

pantages

Recruit

Unfortunatly, I have not had any time to try any of the above sugestions. I do have another almost new tank that I can try rather easily. Thank you for that suggestion.

Hidef: I did find the link and the instructions you mentioned. I briefly read them over and would like to test to see if can test the quickstart to verify that is working correctly. I may need to bring some of my other duddies over to give me a hand in testing it.

Thanks again for everyones ideas

daselbee

Commander

I think you are overcomplicating it.
When I encounter an engine that runs for 2 mins, and then dies, I think "out of gas" for some reason.
The first thing to do is as was suggested above.....as it starts to die, pump the primer bulb.
If it picks up, debug the fuel supply problem. Could be weak fuel pump, air in lines, vent problem (would show up at speed tho),
anything like that.

I do not see where you have actually tried pumping the primer bulb as it starts to die.

Quickstart is a longshot, IMHO.

pantages

Recruit

I finally have an update. Took the boat on the water so I could really see what was going on. I now believe it is a fuel problem. I was able to get the boat moving without any real issues. I gave her full throttle she ran but never got up to speed. She was spitting and missing along the way as well. I would apply the choke and that would help for just a second and the RPM's would spin up a little. She also would run at an idle now. I would much rather work on a fuel/carb issue than electronic. Not sure if I mentioned this in the begining but 2 yrs ago this also happens to be the last time I ever tried to run the boat I had let her set for too long and decided I would open the carbs and clean out the gunk and water since the original fuel tank seemes to sucking up water during the rainy months eventhough she was not directly exposed to the rain. But I would have issues with her runnng from time to time and so began dumping the tank to find it had watter in it. Once I replaced the fuel tank that issue went away...long story short I did not actually rebuild the carbs I just cleaned them. I think if I rebuild them that may solve my issues. They want $500 bucks for that. Seems a bit pricy to me when the kits are only $60.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory flat rate on carb overhauls is 4 hours. Keep in mind, the tech will have to put the engine in a tank and set the idle needles on each carb. That takes more than a few minutes since the idle on one carb will affect the idle on the other two.