Advice on 1997 Johnson 150 ocean runners

buckage

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased twin 1997 150 HP Ocean runners. I did a sea trial on the mako they were on thad they were both very strong. Viper props, all of the harnesses, gauges, controls,key switches, steering bar and oils tanks came with them. They have no corrosion anywhere, look new still and have low hours. Area these good motors? I gave $4800 for the whole package....what do you think of the price? Are there any inherrent problems to watch out for? They hopefullly, will replace a faithful and good running '91 225 rude. I wanted the twins for the extra security of going way offshore....

ocean runners.jpg

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Advice on 1997 Johnson 150 ocean runners

great motors..I prefere to premix. if you want to use the VRO, I would recommend upgrading to the newer style fuel pumps, if you still have the original ones on there. keep your carbs clean..do a link and sync once installed. replace any bad electronics with CDI parts. get a DVA adapter and test electronics periodically including the regulator. change water pump impeller every 2 or 3 years, and gear case oil every year. make sure you test the warning horn on each motor. A guy has a 1996 here for sale that I may buy..it is a fresh rebuild and he wants $3200..I may offer $2500..so you got a good deal since yours came with all the fixins.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks For the good news...I have heard of issues with the newer FIcht motors...these were the last ones with the regular carburation I think. I would like to premix mine as well. I was told that I had to leave the VRO on or they would not run...How can I disable? I go a 200 gal tank full of gas/oil already from my 225 which I had disabled. Hate to waste that much gas....we are nearling $4 bucks a gallon here....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just disable the oil side of the vro's and run the premix. Check the top secret files at the beginning of this forum on how to do it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

no need to waste your gas..just pour in enough oil to premix the gallons you figure that you have..a little extra will not hurt anything.
take the boat down the road and let it bounce around a little to mix it all up..then pump your bulbs into a tank until you get a good flow of premix gas coming out...as boobie said VRO bypass is in secret files section, very easy, just make sure you cap the oil intake good so it does not suck air.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

So is this a fair price? NADA seems very low on these at 1400 avg retail each....

SparkieBoat

Captain

I gave you the average price in post # 2..thew answer is you got a great deal. but when you are dealing with used outboards..condition is huge in the price factor, if the motors have 2000 + hours on them and came off of a commercial boat you may have paid a little much, but still ok considering all of the extras that came with the motors. If they came off of a private vessel with under 1000 hours and well taken care of, with little corrosion, you did great.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC made two types of 60 degree engines that year. A carbed engine and a Ficht (direct inject.) I know some of the 150 Oceanrunners that year were the Ficht type. You did not mention which version you are looking at. The carbed engines have a great reputation, both for durability, fuel economy and torque. The 60 degree Ficht engines have a generally poor reputation up until Bombardier took over in the 2000 model year. Many of these 60 degree Ficht engines are prone to early failure over time. Bombardier did issue a number of factory service bulletins on these engines to improve reliability. If you are looking at Ficht's I'd contact a Bombardier dealer and ask them to check their service databaseby (serial number) and see if these engines have received any of the factory upgrades by an earlier owner. I'd be leery of them if they have had no upgrades. I have also seen many of these 60 degree Fichts run for 1000 hours with no apparent issues. It's your call, but if they are Fichts- I'd consider that in the purchase price.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you did get the carb'd version of that motor, I would recommend you check the low oil, no oil, overheat and Check Engine sensors and continue to run the OMS oil injection. OMS is an excellent system.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I doubt they are Fichts, i dont think they came out in a johnson till 98. one thing that the 60 degree motors will eventually have an issue with is the wrapped carb bowls.....

otherwise...due dilligence, but that is needed on any motor!!!

I have three V4 60 degree loopers and I know that in the northeast and Fla. those mid 90s through 2000 V4s are going from 2500-3500 each!!

id have to think teh V6's are worth even more...big SS props, harnesses, the oil tanks, controls, ect...you did great!!!!

the controls are $150 used ! for the single bimini mounts, a harness could run $150 used as well,

good luck

bob

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am a premix guy..no matter how reliable a oil pump is, every once in a great while one fails while running WOT..and bang no more motor. but the newer oms ones have a much better track record than the older VRO styles.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would use the oil injection with the updated VRO pumps as these are excellent AND you have the best oil detection system anywhere, it actually checks to see if the oil is reaching the motor as well as being pumped.....just be sure to check the warning system out and make SURE the pumps have been or will be updated.....fantastic motors, may be best motors we ever made here.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all. I feel much better about the spend.....now I get to start reinstalling them this weekend....have a feeling that this will take a lot longer than it did to get them off the Mako that they were on when I bought them. Still have to beef up the transom as well first since I am going from single to twins. I'll post some pics as the job goes along....any suggestions on the remount would be appreciated.

buckage

Seaman Apprentice

Regrinding glass to add stringer supports is no fun.......especially when it is your 17th wedding anniversary and you choose to work on the boat X!%@$^^#?

kbait

Commander

Just buy her some gaudy, expensive jewelery and she'll be good.. but don't try it next year! No amount of gifts are likely to work the 2nd time around! :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I think there is a lot more to mounting twin mototrs than JUST PUTTING them on...there is suggested spread measurments, and since you wont be at the deepest part of the hull, you should mount them higher than you mounted the centered single motor!!!

if you think about how much the hull rises when you measure over 3 feet....you definately need to mount the motor higher than your previous motor!!

i know this maybe redundant...but one motor is counter rotating...right?

if you knew all that before, i dont mind if you ignore it now ha ha

bob