Looking at a 1994 140hp Jonson for $200

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I am going to look at a 94 johnson 140 hp for $200. Yes I said $200, the reason for the low price is that it has 75 psi in one cyl and 125 in the rest. The owner said it was running(didnt over heat) but was idleing like crap. so he did a compression test and found one cyl to be low. He pulled the head and there is a fine scratch on the cyl wall of the low cyl. He said the rest looked fine(pistion, ect..). I am thinking if I just re-hone all the cyls and replace the gas rings all should be well. He is more than happy to remove the head to show me the cyl walls and place the head on a glass surfase to ensure its level and not warpped. Does this sound like a good deal? is there anything else I should look for???

Thanks in advance. Oh when I get the model # I will post it later.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking at a 1994 140hp Jonson for $200

It is really buyer beware at this point. Hard to fully diagnose now that shes all pulled apart.

Might it just need cylinder work and new rings on the faulty cylinder? Yeah maybe.

Might it need more? Yeah maybe.

They can get expensive to rebuild, so just be aware of that. If that is all that is wrong $200 seems like a more than fair asking price.

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I just got off the phone with the owner, model # J140TLERR and he was stating that the motor was running, and at idle he noticed it start to chug so he pulled the spark plugs and all looked good except #3 it was black and sooty, then he did a compression test and #3 cyl had low psi. The other three were at 125, and # 3 was at 63, so he squirted WD40 in the cyl and cranked it over and it went up to 73 psi, but after about 6 more tries it was back down to 63psi. So he pulled the head, and found a very small/fine scratch in the cyl wall. He was also saying that the motor still ran, but rough due to the low psi. Does this help anyone diagnose the situation or advice? Thanks Mike

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Possibly a ring broke, hard to tell without opening her up.

daselbee

Commander

There is more that just a "fine scratch" causing that much compression drop.
His idea of a fine scratch might be the Grand Canyon to me.

Regardless, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Wouldn't think twice.

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will be going to look at it tomorrow, and I am going to pull the head to take a lookat the scratch. I just hope Honeing the cyl will repair the scratch. How deep is too deep to repair? maybe I should bring a tool to measure the inside of the cyl wall to see if its even. I think I am gonna go look at it. Hopefully its rebuildable.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can easily recover your $200 by just parting it out, especially if the lower unit is good .