57 Fastwin 18 hp lower unit questions

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class
Proud new owner of an old 57 Fastwin 18 hp Evinrude (model 15020) that I received in a trade for an old snowblower on Craigslist. This is my first time posting so please be gentle. I am doing all the standard revival procedures such as points, condensers, coils, carb kit. plugs and wires, impeller and lower unit seals. I have 2 questions about the lower unit that I can't seem to find answers for in any of the other threads.

1 - There is a slot (keyway?) in the front bearing and a corresponding slot in the lower unit case that appear to me to be for a key to keep the front bering from slipping but there wasn't a key in the lower unit when I took it apart not do I see one on the parts diagram for this at Marineengines.com. I've worked on my '56 7.5 HP Fleetwin and it has a pin that positions and holds the front bearing. So my question is, is the slot for a key or is it an oil passageway?

2- My second question is regarding the rear Prop seal for this model. I know this has been asked before but I don't think it's really been answered. The Parts list says it is part number 302495. I can only find that as a vintage part at marineengines.com for $24.50. A whole seal kit for a '58 Fastwin is only $15. Somewhere I saw that Sierra part number 18-2005 will work for my '57. Can anyone verify this for me? 18-2005 is only $7.50.

I've learned a lot here. My thanks in advance.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 57 Fastwin 18 hp lower unit questions

Welcome to iboats.

Great motor, I just finished up a gearcase reseal on my '57 this afternoon. Any pics of yours?

There was a gearcase change in '58, the kit is different and will not work for your '57

18-2005 is for the '58 18hp prop shaft seal, Im pretty sure the '57 18hp Sierra prop shaft seal is NLA. I dont buy Sierra though so going on memory here, Ill look into my Sierra parts lists if need be.

PM me if you need help with the seal.

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a couple pictures. One I've labeled to show the area that I'm asking about on the front bearing.

Attachments

• DSC01610.jpg
    DSC01610.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01612.jpg
    DSC01612.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral

Hello neighbor, I live out on the southwest side. Welcome to iboats.

I can't help with the questions, but I'm watching for the answers. Looks like a bit of rust inside there.

I just finished up reworking the exact same motor, everything except the lower unit, hoping it is good. I'm looking for another complete lower end for another project.

Your cowl looks just like mine. Are you leaving it alone or thinking of painting it?

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks 64osby,
You should have seen the inside of this lower unit when I opened it up. I was baffled because the prop turned clockwise whether it was in forward, neutral or reverse. I figured the shift pin had been removed and not put back correctly but it was worse that that. I went to drain the oil and nothing came out. I opened it up and it was dry as a bone with sand and crud coating everything. the sift lever that moves the clutchdog was completely rusted and frozen. That's why it wouldn't shift. I was able to find a new, still in the box shift lever on ebay for $15 and the gears, bearings and clutch dog are actually in great condition. I haven't cleaned everything yet, but with all new seals, I'm hoping it will live again. Now if I can just find a rear prop seal for less than $25, I'll be in business.
I do plan to paint it if I get it running well. I'm planning on using it to power a Michalak AF4 that I'll be building after I get the engine in order.
Tad

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry I forgot about your first question :facepalm:

That is just an oil passageway, no key or anything like that there.

I sent you a PM regarding the seals.