98 Evinrude 225 Vindicator shuts off when in gear at low speeds

98HydraSport

Recruit
I have a 1998 Evinrude 225 Vindicatoron a 205 Hydra Sport. I just recently replaced the lower unit, spark plugs, fuel filter, and power pack.

Put the boat in the water, fires up first or second turn and idles fine (out of gear). I put it in gear and if I don't give it throttle it will shut off (no matter what temp or how long the engine has been running). It runs fine when I get it on pad or any speeds above 5mph. Even when I've ran it all day and I get back to the marina (No-Wake Zone) the motor will still shut off. I've checked the fuel bulb and it is pretty hard (definitely some resistance when squeezed) when motor is on. When the motor is off I can only squeeze the bulb aprox. 2 times before it really stiffens up.

I had a mechanic come out and look at it and he said it was the power pack, because the 3 cylinders on the Port side were still firing with the key off. So, I repalced the power pack with a Mallory 9-25019. When replacing the power pack, it appears the previous owner had a short in the wires (Brown, Brown/Yellow) that lead to the stator from the power pack. Instead of plugs, he butt spliced the wires together. I tested the wires and there was still power flowing through the wires.

Took it to the lake, fired right up, and then put it in gear and within 10-30 seconds it shuts off. It will fire right back up, no problems until I put it in gear. Once I get out of the marina (No Wake Zone), open up the throttle and it takes off great. Full loaded with 2 bigger guys it was cruising 59mph at 4500rpm.

It seems to be a fuel issue, but I can't put a finger on it. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions as to what the issue could be.

Thanks!

James R

Commander
Re: 98 Evinrude 225 Vindicator shuts off when in gear at low speeds

You will have to be systematic about this. Stabbing at it will get you into wasted time and money.
Compression check is the first thing. Check that all sparks are good using a spark tester. If good then consider a new set of plugs. A cheap option. If ignition is good and comp's are good you are left with fuel. When were the carb's last cleaned, I mean proper job done. Is the fuel pump delivering at idle. Is the idle speed set correctly.

98HydraSport

Recruit

James,

Thank you for the reply. The mechanic and I went through and did a compression test and spark test. The results were good. On the other hand, I have only owned the boat for a few years and I haven't had the carbs pulled and deep cleaned yet. The boat has been running great, until now, so I didn't see a reason to pull the carbs in the past.

What is the best way to see if the fuel pump is delivering at idle? The boat fires and idles fine, except when you place it in gear.

Again, thank you for your help!

Mindangler

Recruit

I am having similar troubles on my 200 hp 1995 Evinrude Vindicator. It idles great, throttles no problem in neutral. Stalls when throttling up in gear. Just had it at the mechanic, he says it's the fuel pump. Now I just need $400 for a fuel pump. :(