Repairing tilt mechanism on 78'Johnson Seahorse 6hp

Zeno99

Recruit
Hello

The tilt mechanism on my 78 Johnson Seahorse 6hp is not functional so I would like to ask for advice on how to repair it. I include a couple of photos. I believe that I will have to remove bolt A and install a replacement for the rusted-away-parts in the tilting mechanism B. Is this correct?

I have received the advise to not attempt a repair, since the bolt A might cause troubles. It may break etc when I try to remove it. However, I really need the tilt, so I feel I have to try. As far as I can see, I can use a standard bolt with the same dimensions for this purpose.bolt.jpgmotor.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated..

AlTn

Commander
Re: Repairing tilt mechanism on 78'Johnson Seahorse 6hp

marineengine.com...your year, model no. hp....exhaust housing..will have diagrams of this area...were it mine, I'd try PB Blaster or the 50:50 acetone to ATF mix to see if I could free it up...you do have the release lever in the small slot to the left of the long one?..

Zeno99

Recruit
Re: Repairing tilt mechanism on 78'Johnson Seahorse 6hp

marineengine.com...your year, model no. hp....exhaust housing..will have diagrams of this area...were it mine, I'd try PB Blaster or the 50:50 acetone to ATF mix to see if I could free it up...you do have the release lever in the small slot to the left of the long one?..

I'll check the diagrams. I think it is a 6BA78B..