1996 70 hp evinrude

niceguy

Recruit
I am trying to sell my boat and am hoping i get some tech advice. It is a 70 hp evinrude outboard 2 cycle. My wife hit a rock causing the aluminum propeller to bend one side slightly. It made the boat vibrate of course and we limped it back to the dock which took about twenty minutes and have not run it since. I had someone want to buy it and he took it to "his" mechanic to "go" over. I am being told that the prop caused the shaft to bend and replacement and labor to repair will be around $1700.00 which my buyer will conveniently take off the selling price. Is the quote sounding legitimate or do I need to bring my boat back home? P.S. I dont know the guy but it is a boat dealer that is quoting the repairs.

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1996 70 hp evinrude

It's probably cheaper to find a used 70hp motor and throw it on your boat. Or find used prop shaft and replace it yourself(or find a local shadetree boat mechanic to do it cheap).

I'd never put $1700 into a 15yr old motor. JMO

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the prop shaft is bent, you can have them straightened and save the cost of a new one.

Spin the prop while watching the the prop shaft. If you notice any side to side movement its bent. Aluminum props ussually break a blade before they bend the shaft.
Iv been in boats that hit submerged trees and never bent a shaft. Stainless is a diffrent story. That doesnt mean yours isn`t bent though because it is still very possible.

niceguy

Recruit

I am trying to sell my boat and am hoping i get some tech advice. It is a 70 hp evinrude outboard 2 cycle. My wife hit a rock causing the aluminum propeller to bend one side slightly. It made the boat vibrate of course and we limped it back to the dock which took about twenty minutes and have not run it since. I had someone want to buy it and he took it to "his" mechanic to "go" over. I am being told that the prop caused the shaft to bend and replacement and labor to repair will be around $1700.00 which my buyer will conveniently take off the selling price. Is the quote sounding legitimate or do I need to bring my boat back home? P.S. I dont know the guy but it is a boat dealer that is quoting the repairs.

Now he wants to take 1200.00 off the boat price because he will replace the prop and the dealer will do the shaft and labor. Aargh!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

youd have to have completely destroyed your aluminum prop before you bent that prop shaft. with only one blade of your aluminum prop damaged i doubt you did anything serious to your prop shaft..

that said

if the buyer is just covering his behind...he got a worst case scenario from his surveyor.....and if you had to completely rebuild the lower unit, and it was done by a reputable shop... the whole bill might come to $1700...

because usually once a guy has taken the lower unit apart, they replace everything that looks worn, because it is so expensive to get back inside there.. so your $1700 while a worst case sceanario, realistically would never happen.

dont take the bait...

you can spin the prop in nuetral and watch the counter sink in the center of the prop shaft to see if it woblles while rotating....if its a 1/4" then its bent.......I wouldnt worry if it much less than that.....its best if it doesnt wobble at all...the more it wobbles the faster the seal will wear out..

hold your ground......( based on the $1700 scare tactic anyway...because I dont know what you are asking which might be unrealistic anyway!!!)

let us know if the prop shaft wobbles. and go buy a new prop for $130.....I bought my last one from IBoats for $127 it would fit your motor too!

bob

niceguy

Recruit

youd have to have completely destroyed your aluminum prop before you bent that prop shaft. with only one blade of your aluminum prop damaged i doubt you did anything serious to your prop shaft..

that said

if the buyer is just covering his behind...he got a worst case scenario from his surveyor.....and if you had to completely rebuild the lower unit, and it was done by a reputable shop... the whole bill might come to $1700...

because usually once a guy has taken the lower unit apart, they replace everything that looks worn, because it is so expensive to get back inside there.. so your $1700 while a worst case sceanario, realistically would never happen.

dont take the bait...

you can spin the prop in nuetral and watch the counter sink in the center of the prop shaft to see if it woblles while rotating....if its a 1/4" then its bent.......I wouldnt worry if it much less than that.....its best if it doesnt wobble at all...the more it wobbles the faster the seal will wear out..

hold your ground......( based on the $1700 scare tactic anyway...because I dont know what you are asking which might be unrealistic anyway!!!)

let us know if the prop shaft wobbles. and go buy a new prop for $130.....I bought my last one from IBoats for $127 it would fit your motor too!

bob

I wanted 2800.00 for a 1997 Grumman 17 foot with trailer. Garage kept and in excellent shape other than the bad prop and no trolling motor. All carpet, seats and body in immaculate condition. Your info has just about got my mind made up to cancel the deal and bring my boat back home while waiting for a new prop. Hopefully you fellow boaters agree.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ill replace the prop shaft and prop for you for $1600 and save ya 100 bucks :)

JK of course, bring it home. Id say Bob Johnson about summed it up.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I dont know what the grumman looks like...sound slike it might be a bass boat. but id say that a 1996 70hp has to be worth about $1200-$1500 alone...I bent up 4 props this winter duck hunting.... to the point I couldnt run them any more....I just go shallow and there are rocks.. I dont hit stuff going fast or with much rpm....but i bang up props... I suspect thats only what you did...

the best tool to what your boat is worth ...is the price of similar boats in your area.....the average.....most older boats have their value in the motor and trailer...ESPECIALLY fiberglass boats, but yours is aluminum...they hold their value better...and your rig isnt that old.

good luck

bob