1951 Evinrude 4424 3.3 carb problem

dukboat

Seaman
Hello, I have a 1951 Evinrude 3.3 4425 Sportwin that has a carb problem. This is the one without a choke, it has a primer button. I push the primer button a few times and it fires up with one pull and runs for a few seconds, if I keep pushing the primer button it will keep running. Does anyone make a carb rebuild kit for this motor? The motor has been used very little and looks like new inside and out. It has the original plug wrench, spare shear pins and cotter pin and a spare recoil spring. Would it be ok to mix a little gumout in the fuel mixture and pump the primer to try and clean ot the carb? I don't want to take the carb apart unless I can find gaskets for it. Thanks for your help.

dukboat

Seaman
Re: 1951 Evinrude 4424 3.3 carb problem

Hello, I have a 1951 Evinrude 3.3 4425 Sportwin that has a carb problem. This is the one without a choke, it has a primer button. I push the primer button a few times and it fires up with one pull and runs for a few seconds, if I keep pushing the primer button it will keep running. Does anyone make a carb rebuild kit for this motor? The motor has been used very little and looks like new inside and out. It has the original plug wrench, spare shear pins and cotter pin and a spare recoil spring. Would it be ok to mix a little gumout in the fuel mixture and pump the primer to try and clean ot the carb? I don't want to take the carb apart unless I can find gaskets for it. Thanks for your help.
Got it running good, idles and full throtle. Pees water good has a telltail unlike my newer JW 10, going on craigs list tonight

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you end up rebuilding the carb? I make my own gaskets for those models.

dukboat

Seaman

Did you end up rebuilding the carb? I make my own gaskets for those models.

No, drained the tank and cleaned fuel bowl, put fresh gas at 20:1 fired right up, had to push the primer for a minute or two then it ran fine. I wish I could find a small 8 or 10 wood pram then I would keep it. Thanks High Trim

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Running some seafoam thru it could help also.