Help dating an Evinrude 4 hp Yachtwin?

motorhead64

Cadet
Just picked up a 4hp Evin. "Yachtwin". Has no metal tags attached anywhere I can see..not under cowl on either side of lower unit. If it was a "sticker" type tag, what's left of it is toast. Any help would get me going on a service plan. Thanks.

kbait

Commander
Re: Help dating an Evinrude 4 hp Yachtwin?

A photo, and someone will likely nail it down for ya. Welcome to iboats!

motorhead64

Cadet

Have taken a photo. Question is...how do I post it?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have one of those motors. Does it look like this?
P2090927.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cause mine is a 1969 longshaft Yachtwin.

motorhead64

Cadet

Thanks Pete..it looks just like it except the decal comes to a point with a red tip pointing to the midsection of the upper flat on the cowl (side view).

sutor623

Rear Admiral

No prob man. My serial # is 4936B. If you use that # on marineengine.com or here you will find all the part #'s that you need.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

One other thing, I use photobucket.com to host my photos, then I copy the bottom link of the photo that says

motorhead64

Cadet

Are parts interchangeable on these older 4 hp's? What about service manuals, specs on timing/points etc.?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

The yachtwins are all pretty much the same. Ill give you an under the cowl pic when I get a chance.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

One other thing. Did the bottom of your cylinder head look scorched at all? I have two of these motors and it seems that the waterpassage always needs a cleaning, because flow to the bottom of the block becomes restricted. Note how the bottom cylinder has paint missing due to the overheating that this poor little motor had to endure, before it made it to my hands. : (

P2090930.jpg

motorhead64

Cadet

Thanks again,Pete. My motor looks like yours under the cowl as well. Haven't had bottom cowl off yet but there doesn't appear to be any scorching that I can see. I haven't had the ol girl running yet..no fuel plug for my gas can yet. But I will make sure that it is pumping water properly before letting it hurt itself.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cool man. Yeah if it ran hot the head will tell you. You can see how it is red (which is just the primer, the final coat peeled off) If your motor looks like mine then you can use my serial # as a reference when buying parts and have complete compatibility. You will be just fine. :) You might even think about engraving the number it somewhere.....