2004 Johnson 115 lower unit trim plate

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I now own a Johnson 115HP 4 stroke 2004 outboard. It is essentially a Suzuki with a johnson lower unit I gather. I'm extremely happy with this engine on my small Cad 18. Very quiet and smooth with enormous power when opened up. When I went ice skating the other day I noticed a broken trim plate so I ordered a new one. Very fast delivery from the US this time, kuddo's. I didn't know what it was for until I got the part. It seems like you can ajust the amount of trim you want but what I'd like to know is: "does the trim change according to speed/amount of power? It seems to be a part that compensates for slow rev prop-walk no? What happens at full speed? Also, since there's a Laser II prop fitted there doesn't seem too much room for the trim plate and fin, if it does move with the amount of power applied I can guess that that's what broke it in the first place...

Can anyone enlighten me?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 Johnson 115 lower unit trim plate

Could you post a picture ??

saffi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2004 Johnson 115 lower unit trim plate

Hmm,. thanks. It seems a bit useless then. I have hydrolic steering and the boat is very stable on any course and steers like a feather. I'm on holiday, can't post picture. I'll install it and fiddle around a bit. I thought it might help to counteract the wheel effect when manouvering at low speed. But being that close to the prop, doesn't it cause turbulence and maybe pitting due to cavitation?

Can't wait for the season to get started. The boat has a turbo swing, never used one before.

Have