does wiring harness for 1977115hp evinrude fit 1978 70hp johnson controls omc?

mickeyred

Cadet
Just purchased 1977 evinrude 115hp outboard had a 1978 johnson 70hp on the boat! it looks like the plug will fit (8) pins in each, im new to this so can someone please tell me what to do to hook this motor up,controls,wiring,ect! I also have electric tilt and trim on the new motor 3 wires! I thank everyone in advance who responds, its my first boat and im excited to get this done! Any other hints and tips would be great also! thanx a bunch!! MICKEY!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: does wiring harness for 1977115hp evinrude fit 1978 70hp johnson controls omc?

The control boxes are interchangeable up through 1995. Both your engines have the red plug, so you are all set. Just plug the two harnesses together at the red plug. It is possible that your 78 control box is missing the power trim switch in the handle. If it does not have it, you may be able to add it. Your 1977 motor with trim should have included a separate control box for the power trim. That box is mounted separately under the rear splashwell of the boat and connects direct to the battery, just like the engine. The trim switch on the dash and the trim motor also connect there. If you did not get that box with the engine, that could present a problem. Likely that box for the old 3-wire system is discontinued, having last been used midway through the 1981 models. You may be interested in looking at the original exploded parts diagram at the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com

mickeyred

Cadet
Re: does wiring harness for 1977115hp evinrude fit 1978 70hp johnson controls omc?

The control boxes are interchangeable up through 1995. Both your engines have the red plug, so you are all set. Just plug the two harnesses together at the red plug. It is possible that your 78 control box is missing the power trim switch in the handle. If it does not have it, you may be able to add it. Your 1977 motor with trim should have included a separate control box for the power trim. That box is mounted separately under the rear splashwell of the boat and connects direct to the battery, just like the engine. The trim switch on the dash and the trim motor also connect there. If you did not get that box with the engine, that could present a problem. Likely that box for the old 3-wire system is discontinued, having last been used midway through the 1981 models. You may be interested in looking at the original exploded parts diagram at the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com

Thanx so much you were a great help!!