Lower gearcase repair - 2001 Johnson 150

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys - I'm the one replacing the forward and pinion gear as well as clutch dog for the subject engine. I finally got my parts in the mails, and I have a couple questions: In order to re-instal the drive shaft I have to hold the roller bearing in place - the manual says to use "OMC Needle Bearing Assembly Grease", there aren't many boating stores in No. Jersey, so I asked my local West Marine guys if they had any or a substitute I could use. They weren't even sure what I was asking for and offered my trailer grease..... I was going to just try to use the lower gear case lube to hold them in, but that's a hit/miss affair. Any suggestions on what else I can use - e.g. vaseline or O-Ring lube???
Second - I need to put the new Pinion gear on the end of the driveshaft once it's in - do I need to support the shaft somehow to press the new pinion gear on the driveshaft - or will just getting it to hold on there and putting the pinion nut on get me there?
Third - any trick to get the pinion nut back on the driveshaft?? I have a long 7/8th inch wrench I used to remove it, so was thinking I could maybe tape the nut into the wrench - or maybe use a magnet on the wrench to hold the nut till I get it back on?? Any ideas or correct direction would be helpful - I don't have any special OMC tools, just using common sense so far.
Thanks again for all your help and ideas in the process of tearing it down ;)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower gearcase repair - 2001 Johnson 150

I hate to tell you this but if you're replaceing the pinion gear the drive shaft assy should br shimmed with the proper tools.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

I thot that you only needed to ensure proper shimming if the pinion bearing was removed, which I didn't do....
There were no shims above the pinion gear when I removed it, so I assumed it would go back together the same way.
If I do need the proper "tool" what would it be???
Also, any thots on my other questions in this thread?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to take the d/s and it's componets to a local BRP dlr and have them shim it. The shims are under the upper brg hsg. You can use vaseline to hold the roller bearings in with no prob. And I've used the same 7/8th wrench for yrs to torque the pinion gear nut.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Boobie, appreciate the advice and other helpful hints...
Is there anyway I can tell if it needs "shims" ????