Johnson 200hp Venom

hgvoce

Cadet
I have a 2000 Johnson 200hp low time outboard that is hard to crank when sitting for say a week or two. Once I get it to crank it will fire instantly and runs great, it is just that initial crankin at the ramp that seems to take forever.

Here is what I do .....

prime fuel bulb to firm
turn key to, ignition ON, get the 4 lights / beep
push the key in, here the click, turn key one more position to engage the starter while holding the key in

Do this till it fires, which is normally a fire and die for several times. Will not take gas at first, just dies.

very cold day, been sitting for 2 weeks, did not think it was going to crank, finally did, (luckly no one else was wanting to put in) to forever. Afraid for the starter, although I do soin the engine in short cycles as to not over heat the starter.

So are you suppose to crank this cold beast?

daselbee

Commander
Re: Johnson 200hp Venom

Raise the fast idle lever up along with exactly what you are doing now. When starts, feather the fast idle lever down to a fast idle as well as pushing the key in every now and then to keep it running. You gotta find the right place for the fast idle lever. Mine is about 1/2 way up, and when it starts, I adjust it down as necessary to keep it from racing up. 2K rpm is about right. When warmed up, return the lever to down and locked position.

If you have a binnacle, same concept, just disengage the throttle from the gear shift by pushing a button or pulling out on the binnacle handle (whatever you have to do to disengage it).

If that doesn't do it, look into the proper operation of the primer fuel system. Clicking is good, but you need to really verify if fuel is actually getting to the manifolds.

jh47828

Cadet
Re: Johnson 200hp Venom

I had the same issue. It turned out that when I pushed in the key switch to choke the engine, the choke would not click and engage. I almost got another choke. I called marina and the tech told me it was probably the key switch. They go bad. I installed another key switch and the choke started working. Check to see if you hear the click on the choke when you press in the key. If not, change the key switch first. Only about 25 bucks.