1989 Johnson Looper 140 VRO - not sure if I should buy it

Burisch

Recruit
Hi All

I am new to these forums (well I've been reading them on and off for a few years)...
anyways, I've recently moved country, so been without a boat for 3 years, and about to get back in the game.
Found a fairly neat Fletcher 17ft GRP speed boat with 140 Johnson.

Anyways, I am happy with the state of the boat, but the engine I need some advice on if possible.

Basically, the engine starts first time, sounds very nice. Its quite smokey, but it was 35 degrees outside and its an old two stroke. Compression on each cylinder is apparently 120psi, as shown on a recent (actually 2 year old!) service invoice. I guess I will compression check it before (should I decide to) buying it just to confirm.

Anyways, so it goes into gear nice, it starts perfect and idles nice, sounds good and the powerhead looks in good nick, not too rusty or anything and wiring looks not bad.

But, from about midway of the engine down, it starts to look a mess. Well, seems someone has painted the lower unit with aerosol or something and petrol has completely ruined the paint - but this is fine, I am quite excited to respray the motor anyway. I am more concerned at the other things:

1. There appear to be 1 or two tiny holes at the bottom of the lower unit, where water comes out of with the muffs on... is that normal? Or has someone drilled these holes - I dont recall these on my old 85hp suzuki.

2. Theres quite a bit of water leaking between the lower unit and the mid section seam - is that ok?

3. The pea stream was working, but it was pretty weak, owner says he will have a new impeller/waterpump installed.

4. Also, the engine is converted to a remote electric fuel pump - have absolutely no idea why, but some searching revealed its not a good idea... can anyone confirm this? And perhaps give reason as to why it may have been done? Surely replacing the original pump would have been cheaper and simpler if it had failed?

Here are some pictures of the setup:

001JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

002JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

003JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

004JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

005JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

006JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

Burisch

Recruit
Re: 1989 Johnson Looper 140 VRO - not sure if I should buy it

Here are the rest of the pics

007JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

008JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

009JOHNSONlooper140.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson Looper 140 VRO - not sure if I should buy it

Get rid of the electric fuel pump and go back to the vro. The electric fuel pump is a fire hazard on a carbed 2 stroke. The steering bracket may cost some bucks to get it repaired properly. Your water leaks seem normal but you may have some inner exhaust seals leaking. Figure out what it would cost to repair before buying it.