Seafoam whille my heads are off?

rothfm

Ensign
Hi,

I'm working on 2 older motors crossflow 88spl and a 115. I'm not ready to run/start them yet, but while I have the heads off is it a good idea to get some seafoam in there and let them soak? I wont be starting these for a few weeks at least. I have the lowers off and thought I can spray some seafoam in there a couple times and turn by hand so it can run out the ports.

Is that a good Idea? I will do the full seafoam treatment later on when I get them together after testing--but thought this might be a good time to get some on the rings to help free them up.

just concerned that Im not able to start them up for some time yet.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam whille my heads are off?

If they were my mtrs I'd just use good old ATF. Be surprised what it will do and I think it's cheaper. Tilt the mtrs up when you do it as it will run into the rings.

rothfm

Ensign

Thanks Boobie.....So no issue leaving that on there a few weeks till I can start them? They are hanging, and up at an angle already. I'll work some ATF onto the rings and let it sit. Figured as long as they were opened up might as well.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Seafoam is a great product, but works best when the engine is up to temp.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Seafoam is a great product, but works best when the engine is up to temp.
Yeah I've had a hard time getting that stuff to do much on a non-running engine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Rothfm, you should have no probs. I have a friend that winterizes his mtrs every year with an ATF mix and never has a prob.

rothfm

Ensign

thanks all. Will put some ATF in them to sit, while I continue to work on the engines..

Appreciate the feedback.