1965 6502 Fisherman 6hp - Hoses & Lower End Question

Heimtun

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings All,

Re-awakening my old '65 is going well.

I'd like to replace the fuel lines under the case - from the connector to the fuel pump and from the pump to the carb. I'd like to buy the hose before I take things apart but I can't find details about hose size - anyone have any thoughts?

There was, what remains, some type of plastic ring (white) on the lower unit behind the prop - but I can't seem to identify it on the parts blow-up. I've taken a photo of the area on the lower end - the ring was around the groves at the end of the case where the prop-shaft comes out (see arrow). Any ideas on part name or number would be appreciated. There seems to be a problem uploading files... please see this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113336...key=Gv1sRgCLiEza_56bH2swE#5710922679733393906

I've got some rough spots on the outside of the lower unit - it look like it may be the results of corrosion. Any thoughts as to what to do about these?

Thanks again to you all for your help.

Wayne

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1965 6502 Fisherman 6hp - Hoses & Lower End Question

HI Heimtun. Good idea to replace the fuel line. You should just be able to take the old lines with you to any auto parts store and they can cut new hoses to length. Bear in mind that the fuel line going into the fuel pump is under vacuum and usually has thicker walls than the line leading from the pump to the carb. Try to get ethanol resistant lines if you can too. I'm not exactly sure what the white plastic ring is, but I suspect that it may actually be old fishing line that got wrapped around the prop. As far as corrosion goes, you can try to brush most of it off with a soft wire brush and/or sanding. You can paint it by first prepping with self-etching, zinc chromate primer, then the paint of your choice.

Heimtun

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks raczekp. I guess this is one less thing I have to worry about ;-)

nwcove

Admiral

kinda looks like the head/bearing assembly is not installed right?

Heimtun

Seaman Apprentice

Hi nwcove - can you be more specific. If there is a problem, I'd like to fix it. Do you have any photos of what it should look like?
I posted a higher resolution photo on the same picasaweb site.
Thanks,
Wayne

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

It almost looks to me like someone used teflon tape on the threads of the head & bearing. The white stuff may be all the teflon that has bunched up into a mass.

Heimtun

Seaman Apprentice

Hi TN, Thanks for your thoughts. It is not soft like Teflon tape - it is hard, albeit thin, plastic and again - it is one complete plastic ring and not long threads, fishing line or tape. Wayne

nwcove

Admiral

Hi nwcove - can you be more specific. If there is a problem, I'd like to fix it. Do you have any photos of what it should look like?
I posted a higher resolution photo on the same picasaweb site.
Thanks,
Wayne

i dont have a motor like yours.....and im just guessing..but it looks like the gearcase head is protruding from the gearcase further than it should?

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. These two areas just don't look quite right. (maybe the wrong skeg?) Here's a link to a guy rebuilding his entire LU it should help you get yours back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0u62hciwY&feature=related

Lower-Unit-Ring-Area.jpg

Heimtun

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I certainly see what you mean about the skeg fit... I'll have to check that out.

As far as the gear case head... here's a photo the the oft mentioned Evinrude Ramblings webpage...

6hp%20gears.jpg

It seems to show the part protruding from the case.

Either way, when my seal kit comes I've be viewing the video again and taking everything apart and cleaning it up.

Thanks again.

Wayne