Uht oh. 1996 9.9HP Evinrude nozzle issue

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
So just bought this motor as a fix-er-up. P/O stated it was only running on 1 cylinder and it was probably the power pack since the had already replaced the coil. He said he didn't want to throw any more money at it so sold it to me. After bringing it home, I tested for spark and hard spark both cylinders much to my joy! Another quick inspection turned up a slice into a fuel line.. No wonder it was running rough! Decided to rebuild the carb since I saw a bit of water on/in the water pump. Popped it off and noticed the nozzle was cracked? Not sure how, but I decided to see if I could pop it out and replace.. Well I opened the nozzle chamber plug and see this.
IMG_0463.JPG

The tube was against the inside of the nozzle. So I tried to back the nozzle off a bit and ended up with this:
IMG_0467.JPG

Can I fix this?

*emulsion tube. And it appears I am out of luck lol :( If this thing isn't working, I'm looking at a new carb. Whats its purpose? What are symptoms of it malfunctioning? I have a venturi broke and sideways in a carb once. No top end. I'm guessing that's what I'm going to have here.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Uht oh. 1996 9.9HP Evinrude nozzle issue

Anyone? Maybe I'll just put it back together and see what happens. Leery of a lean condition though.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why risk frying your motor? You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a donor carb.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Why risk frying your motor? You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a donor carb.

Thats what I was hoping but I'm striking out on anything less than $300 though. Not finding any used or re-maufactured. All OEM stuff.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try EBAY and salvage yards.... craigslist.

There is one on Ebay now... not sure if it is right for your motor.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Try EBAY and salvage yards.... craigslist.

There is one on Ebay now... not sure if it is right for your motor.

Whats the difference between the Rope Start carb and Electric Start carb? My motor has both a rope and electric. Can I use either carb?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm afraid I cannot give you a good answer on that one.

I would guess that an electric start carb likely has an electronic choke solenoid whereas a rope start does not - and is manually operated.

Now would be a good time to post your model number so someone can see exactly what you have and what you can use.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid I cannot give you a good answer on that one.

I would guess that an electric start carb likely has an electronic choke solenoid whereas a rope start does not - and is manually operated.

Now would be a good time to post your model number so someone can see exactly what you have and what you can use.

E10RELEDD is the model#. I really appreciate the help!

raczekp1

Lieutenant

maual and electric start motors has the same carbs.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

maual and electric start motors has the same carbs.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was thinking as I couldn't find a choke, just the fuel enrichment solenoid or whatever it's called. Which richens the mixture similar to how a choke would without restricting airflow? Or am I not understanding that device properly? Thanks again, I'm going to go ahead and order one.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

post some photo of front motor panel to be sure if its manual choke or electric choke(i doubt if its electic choke)

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

post some photo of front motor panel to be sure if its manual choke or electric choke(i doubt if its electic choke)
It has the Electric Primer System. I'll have to wait until I get home to take some pictures. I don't recall seeing anything on the front panel though.. A plug or two. I can tell you for sure if its electric choke, there aren't any wires running to the carb. The only wires run to the Primer system on the Port side of the motor. purple/white and one other color I don't remember. I'll be able to post pics around 6:00pm E.S.T.

This is a remote version. Remote throttle and gear changing.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

From the manual: 5C. 9.9 and 15 hp remote control models—Disconnect the
primer line from the fitting on the port side of the carburetor.

Heres a picture of the carb I bought. Came off rope start. Looks like the one inlet is capped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160735127938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

both inlets on port side.

Heres the carb off the elect start apparently.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OMC-Joh..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item230a55ccb7&vxp=mtr

And another.. The electric start version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-EVI..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item43ac9d84b7&vxp=mtr

Same inlet configuration.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i can see that electric start with primer there is no manual activated chocke.

on carb mounting part there is small inlet for primer hose.there is only one difference.

so this firs one comes from rope start and a manual choke, to convert to electric moder you just take out choke machanism,
the second and third is from electric choke models

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

i can see that electric start with primer there is no manual activated chocke.

on carb mounting part there is small inlet for primer hose.there is only one difference.

so this firs one comes from rope start and a manual choke, to convert to electric moder you just take out choke machanism,
the second and third is from electric choke models
Correct. The second and third are electric chokes. What do you mean "take out choke mechanism"?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

just disassemble choke plate from carb inlet,
pull out 2 pin locks and ,take out 2 screav holding choke plate to choke rode,
take out choke rod, its all