1998 Johnson 150 hp FICHT water pump change

Wild Bill

Seaman Apprentice
Would like to know how hard it would be to change my water pump. Is thier any thing special that I need to know about removing the bottom out drive, should it be in gear or netural,etc. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased the service manual but it dosen't have any thing about the out drive in the manual. Do any of you know what good manual I should buy. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Johnson 150 hp FICHT water pump change

If you have the OEM ser man part # 520211, you're correct. The g/c is not in there. What you'll need is OEM ser man part # 520210. You could also try a Seloc but I've never used one as I've heard they're no good.

jsproline

Seaman Apprentice

second the manual. I did one on a 89 225 rude. Always done i/o s previously and did not know about the shift rod. Cost me $400 bucks to learn that one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Actually both Seloc and Clymer Suck. Best one is still the OEM. They may cost more but how much do mistakes cost ?

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wild Bill, I have a '98 johnson 150 OceanRunner and the OEM manual #520210 mentioned by another poster. I assume the basic information would also apply to the FICHT engine but I am not certain. Anyway, here is the gearcase removal procedure from the manual.
Let me know if you need any additional info.
GearcaseServicing

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It also applies to the Ficht. Thanks for posting it for the OP.

Wild Bill

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks outofcontrol and all the rest that had input, I really appreciate it.

stratos295

Cadet

How did this go??,Where there any problems you ran into,Im getting ready to replace my water pump and inlet screens(broke)So any help would be appricated,Thanks for all the info in this thread

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stratos, you might start your own post. Tell us exactly what motor and what you plan to do.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just did this exact same motor for a friend of mine. We had "a lot" of trouble getting the shift linkage to disengage from the pin. There just wasn't enough movement to the port side to disengage the pin. We ended up just taking the aluminum V clamp off the shift rod linkage. (You MUST remove the locking bolt to get this thing off the shift linkage). It was a real PIA!
Also, be sure to get the key facing in the right direction when you put the pump down on the shaft. Check this BEFORE you put the lower unit back on the motor and have find out the hard way :) To check it, remove (or don't yet assemble) the top part of the water pump that slides over the main shaft attaches with the two flat blade screws. Once the pump is on the shaft (with this "cover" off), turn the prop shaft so the main drive shaft turns clockwise and look down into the pump. There's a small slot in the stainless cup where you can view the impeller rotating as you turn the shaft. If the impeller doesn't turn, you didn't get the key right.