1979 25 HP Evinrude Electric Start selling for $300, a good deal????

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is that a steal for this motor? He says it needs $10.00 part. Its the Plastic part of the Fuel Screen Mechanism that Broke. I Can show you when you come. I have a very old 13ft Kalmath that used to haul butt with a 15hp. Should I go grab it before someone else does?

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 25 HP Evinrude Electric Start selling for $300, a good deal????

I would be really suspicious of someone selling a motor that only needs a $10 part lol. Why doesn't he buy the part and sell the motor for more? I don't buy anything unless I hear it run, unless I buy it just for a parts motor.

Of course if the motor is in good shape and all it really needs is a $10 part it is a good deal. But I suspect there is far more wrong with it than a $10 part lol. Usually when it sounds to good to be true, it is IMO. I have dealt with people like this a lot in the outboard and vehicle world. I would want to see pics (up close pics, not pics from 100 yards away) before I went to look at it.

All that said, if it isn't to far of a drive (like under 30min) I would go look at it. Sometimes you do find diamonds in the rough :)

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice

I would snatch that motor up myself, I am a little bit of a risk taker though. $300 is a steal for that motor if it is in fact just a fuel pump part broken, can be fixed very cheap. With something like that I would go look at it and make him put muffs on that motor and squirt a little gas mix into the air breather or even right into the carb if you wanted to, and have him fire that thing up. I have even been known to rig up a funnel and fuel line assembly and attach it right to the carb and hold it while someone runs the engine just so I can hear it run. If he is telling the truth, it should fire right up.

screennamie

Seaman

Sounds about right. For comparison, I got a 1972 18hp fastwin, 1953 alumacraft and trailer for 425. So if it needs a part make sure it runs first or at the very least turns over and sounds like it wants to start. Just my 2 cents.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd do a compression test and test for a good spark, if both are good anything else is doable.

AlTn

Commander

electric start? tiller handle?..both make it more desireable around here ..agree with all the above and would add this..crack the drain screw and check on the amount of water that comes out of the lower unit <you may have to crack the vent screw as well>

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone know how this motor does trolling? I troll at speeds from 2.5 to 4pmh. Or would I need a trolling plate?